Campground Ratings

More
8 years 9 months ago #13855 by johnandmari
I have been an avid user of the Military Campgrounds webpage since it first appeared back in 2003. Over the years I noticed a huge disparity in how each of us (the FamCamp users) rates our experiences. I realize that each of us have varying interests, needs or expectations with regards to campgrounds, but sometimes I wonder about just what happened at the rated campground.

My DW and I have been RVing since 1991, and over the years have visited almost 50 Famcamps, a number of them multiple times. When I see a campground rated really great, that I myself would rate as the pits (!) – yes, there are some out there; well I have to scratch my head in amazement. I’m certainly no expert when it comes to unbiased campground ratings, but what did the other rater see/miss that I didn’t? I always attempt to be honest in my opinions and observations, and I’m certain the rest of you likewise are honest in what you write, so why the huge discrepancy in what each of us “see”? I will watch this post, and await your responses with great anticipation!

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: LamSan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #13856 by floridakamper
Replied by floridakamper on topic Campground Ratings
Just before I read your post, I read a new review on "Great Pond" and a few just prior to the current review. I suspect they were quite a bit younger because of the children's ages. The two or three reviews I read were pointing out how nice it was not to have cell service, internet and TV. I can understand their point of view but I don't share it. Creature comforts are important to us. On our present multi-month trip, We were on the road at first light and settled in a campground in time for Days of Our Lives. It sounds strange even to me, but it works for us. Give me a campground with a shot at satellite, good wi-fi, a cell signal, 50 amp service, sewer, an interesting restaurant nearby and a Wal-Mart and you get a good review from me.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by floridakamper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv, LamSan

More
8 years 9 months ago #13858 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic Campground Ratings
I feel the same way you do and I look at the ratings and read the comments and hopefully it will explain why the ratings might be different from mine or most others. I have noticed that the true RV'er who continues to travel has a different perspective of things than someone who stays at the same campground for months at a time. I can honestly say that things do change at campgrounds and we may not rate it the same each time but we look for certain things the same as floridakamper does. Satellite access is important for our roof mounted dome, a strong 50 amp, decent water pressure, sewer, a site that is close to being level with a good size pad to park on and walk around. The younger campers with kiddies in the FamCamps probably do not have the same expectations as retirees so ratings could be different. I rely on the ratings and comments of a FamCamp we will be going to for the first time so I read all of them carefully and then decide if it will meet our needs and then call the campground and ask more questions.

More
8 years 9 months ago #13860 by floridakamper
Replied by floridakamper on topic Campground Ratings
I'm sure this is not news to most folks but for commercial campgrounds I rely on RV Park Reviews

Last week I drove right past Barkesdale AFB after reading the reviews here and stopped at a off base campground that had good reviews on RV Park Reviews.

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds