social security & military pension

More
16 years 11 months ago #883 by lifermc
hello,

did 30 years in the marines and starting to think about social security. not 62 yet but plan on drawing at 62. my question is this, will my SS be reduces because of my military pension?

i think it will not but would like to hear it from retirees drawing SS.

thanks,
david
socal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #885 by fiatspider79
nO. Absolutely not. No chance. Nope. That's a negative.

Unless Congress passes a new law.

In fact, you will even get a little more SS pay than a civilian with the same earnings record would get as you are credited with an extra $100 per month that you didn't actually get.

And when you finally get around to it, remember that you can apply up to 4 months before the month in which you turn 62. Apply on line. They will ask you to send an original birth certificate and DD-214 to a PO box in Colorado--do. It sure beats standing in line at the local office.

You're gonna like being a "double dipper". I'm a tripple because I also get VA disability pay.

Glenn

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago #892 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: social security & military pension
david
Glenn is right on with his answere however if you or your wife were married before they will want to see the copies of the divorce papers and your marriage license. This may only apply if your wife is applying and drawing off you.

More
16 years 11 months ago #894 by monkey44
One other thing -- if you draw SS at 62 instead of 65 (or later) you get a slightly lesse amount per month. But if you do the math, and add 36 months of "a little less money per month" and then figure out how long it takes you to overcome the "deficite bucks you'd get waiting" -- it's a very long time, forget exactly but about six or seven years before you actually show more money in total. So, if you're still around after age seventy, or so, then you get some minimal amount of actual dollars extra.

When I looked at it, I signed up at 62 and said to myself -- I'll spend it now instead of later -- and then I'll keep right on spending a little less a little later if I'm still around
who knows !!

More
16 years 11 months ago #919 by cdrcos

One other thing -- if you draw SS at 62 instead of 65 (or later) you get a slightly less amount per month. But if you do the math, and add 36 months of "a little less money per month" and then figure out how long it takes you to overcome the "deficit bucks you'd get waiting" -- it's a very long time, forget exactly but about six or seven years before you actually show more money in total. So, if you're still around after age seventy, or so, then you get some minimal amount of actual dollars extra...

When I went to "retirement training" ::) about a year ago, they told us the break-even point for coming out ahead money-wise by drawing at 62 is 78 years. Before that you are coming out ahead, but if you live longer than 78, you would be losing money drawing early.

Life's a crap shoot! ???

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
16 years 11 months ago #921 by monkey44
I've decided to spend it now, and worry about the loss if and when I get to 78 ... probably won't care much then.

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds