RV insurance and Florida DMV HELP!

More
15 years 6 months ago #4461 by imagesbytjm
Geoff,

I did some research on the FL DMV site ( www.flhsmv.gov ) and found an insurance exemption for proof of FL insurance for active military. Look here:
www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Manua...res/BTR/rs/RS-36.pdf

It includes a affidavit you can complete to get the exemption. Go all the way to the bottom of the pdf.

Hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4463 by monkey44
Terry -- right, but guess what happens. The "big dogs" that run it get paid to make the costs less, and their pay and bonuses are probably (not sure here) tied to performance just like any other for-profit company... So, the BODs look at what the 'big dog' does for the bottom line -- Look at AAA, that is also a non-profit corp ... but look how much the 'boss' makes -- I mean I don't know how much exactly, but I bet it's alot, and always tied to performance.

But we're getting off topic here, and it's my fault -- so let's let someone advise Geoff about his issue with Florida -- and we can slap the insurance execs later -- bet he can get it done if he goes to the right people in the company.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4464 by imagesbytjm
I agree. Insurance is about sharing the risk. But the insurance companies only want to cover low risks so they can keep the profits. Look out Calif. How long will USAA continue to cover earthquakes, fires and mud slides before they figure you're too high risk? :o

I feel bad about high jacking Geoff's thread for my USAA rant. If he will go to the FL DMV site I gave him a few messages back, I think it will solve his problem.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4466 by skyking8
Because USAA has stretched the military connection link and allowed just about anyone to use them, the risks have been adjusted upward. I'm sure that weather related claims have had a big impact on the bottom line. But because this is a member company, I should think that we have some power to extract some exceptions to normal policy.

I have had this same insurance issue on my rig. I was told no. It wasn't until I climbed the change of corporate command that I was able to get an exception - no doubt due my longer term membership and good driving record. In doing so, I had an opportunity to discuss the pros of insuring a customer base that, in age, experience, and responsibility, was probably a low risk for USAA. I don't have any idea if that rationale was actually forwarded to the decision makers.

Nonetheless, if you still want to go with USAA, there's a couple of ways to tackle it. First, play the longer term customer card as an exception to policy. Play it as high as you can go. Secondly, I'd suggest that you write a letter to the current CEO. It might be appropriate to repeal the low risk customer rationale I mentioned. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for the exception for yourself.

There have been a couple of other issues that I've had positive results on by going to the top and tactfully submitting the reminder that USAA is indeed a member organization.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4497 by FastEagle
First off, all insurance for motor vehicles registered in FL must go through a registered FL agent. (Second, Geoff Murphy is not in the military, his wife is). So is the RV in her name or yours Geoff? If you have worked for any wages in VA you may have lost the ability to maintain a FL residency.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
11 years 9 months ago #10358 by daveswaney
I am retired military, Florida resident and summer in Ohio. I to have an RV insured with USAA reistered in FL. Sometime this year USAA decided to quit insuring RV's in FL like they did manufactured homes s few years back. Progressive is the Company they evidently partied with to underwite the RV's. I was paying around $900 full coverage with USAA and my quote from progressive was $2500. I to have to make a decession soon. I have a tendancy to believe one of the repliers, USAA is hanging us out to dry. I plan on writing to the leadership as this has ticked me off. Hope this helps.

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds