RV insurance and Florida DMV HELP!

More
15 years 6 months ago #4442 by VTYankee802
I am begging for help here, this situation makes me SO frigging mad! My coach is registered in Florida, my normal insurance is with USAA, but they don't do RVs, so they have an agreement with Progressive. We are stationed in Virginia, my Florida registration for the bus is up for renewal, and they want proof of insurance first. They (FL) don't have a problem with any of my 3 cars, and here is where the problem starts:

Florida REQUIRES a Florida insurance policy. Progressive will NOT write me a Florida policy because we currently reside in Virginia (Navy orders). I will NOT register in Virginia, we don't have a permenant residency here, we don't like it here, and intend to go back to Florida first chance we get, and refuse to pay yearly personal property tax on ANY vehicle. So does anyone have ANY suggestions or pull with Florida and/or its DMV?!? I can't believe there are NO accomidations made for military stationed out of state.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #4444 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: RV insurance and Florida DMV HELP!
Not sure I can solve your problem, I am a retired insurance executive, from Pa. living in Florida so let me ask you a couple questions first. What company is insuring your RV now and what address is your mailing address and what address are you using for where the RV is garaged? Do you have the RV with you in Va. and are you living in it?

More
15 years 6 months ago #4450 by bill6750
First off I think you have talked to the wrong person. You need to talk to a supervisor. I am sure that Progressive has a provision for AD persons.
I live in Mo. and have my MH registered in Fl. and have had it registered there for four years. Our policy in issued to the Fl. address but the mail etc. comes to me at the Mo. address. I am retired military.
Call again.
:)

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
15 years 6 months ago #4458 by imagesbytjm
I'd talk to USAA and ask them what the H... I have my 2008 Allegro with them, so they can't tell you they don't insure RV's. I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with USAA. I have been with them for 40 years. First they tell me they won't insure my FL home because of the hurricane risks. (When you return to FL don't expect to get USAA house insurance). They dropped my son's homeowners because he had to move from FL to AL for a job. He kept the FL house as a rental. Same house, same location, same owner but now no USAA insurance because of hurricane risk. Now they want to get out of covering RV's. If I could find cheaper car insurance, I'd dump them in a NY minute. I've already dropped their credit card and bank accounts. >:(

More
15 years 6 months ago #4459 by monkey44
We gotta remember here, insurance companies are in business to make money, not to pay for your damage. Paying for your damage is a collateral effect of the insurance business, and the companies will do whatever it can to deny coverage and payouts.

The greatest hope of an insurance company is that a customer will buy expensive insurance and never have to use it ... how do we think these insurance companies build all these huge office buildings and buy all this expensive real estate --

A fun example: In a small commercial building I once built, about a year later we had water damage in the basement. Water came in underground through a utility port that was supposed to be waterproof. Well it wasn't and the water flooded in from a below grade utility water divergence trench that ran along the streets. Called the insurance company and they denied because they had a rain-damage exclusion.

When I appealed the denial, the original decision said, and I quote, "The water damage was cause by underground seepage that was at one time rain, so we deny coverage." Upon appeal, the insurance company paid, but it took two hearings and attorney fees (which they also had to pay) before they would pay the claim -- but I often wonder which water on this planet has not at one time been rain.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4460 by imagesbytjm
Monkey44,

I agree with that for commercial insurance companies. But USAA says it's a MEMBER OWNED company. To me, that means they should take care of their member's insurance needs at the lowest possible cost. They are no longer doing that. They are dumping coverage for certain members because they don't want to pay the claims. No more FL homeowners coverage, no more RV coverage, what's next? How much are they paying all those generals on the board of directors? How much are they spending to build all those buildings? How much are they paying all those civilian employes? USAA has gotten greedy just like the commercial insurance companies, IMHO. That was not what a member owned and operated insurance plan for military members was supposed to be.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds