4.0 52
Virginia 128696
Nov '06 -- Oct '07 -- numerous visits of 14 - 60 d
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

As an active-duty geo-bachelor who was experiencing numerous out-of-area deployments while headquartered at Little Creek I had numerous opportunities to stay here for varying lengths of time over the past year. Peg & Dick are the resident hosts and run a friendly and tight ship. The campground is unfailingly neat and clean. The shower area is small but always clean. The residents seem to typically be about 1/3 active-duty folks (like myself), 1/3 full-time RVers, 1/3 transients. Folks seem very helpful and look out for one another. As mentioned in one of the earlier reviews, the roads are narrow and the spots require backing in; however, folks seem to go out of there way to help by moving cars to make more maneuver room when needed. Base facilities are excellent with a very modern and well-stocked NEX & commissary. There is also an 18-hole golf course, CPO mess, & family swimming pool on base. As a central base of operations while in the Hamton Roads area for awhile you can't beat it. Call ahead to make sure there is a space (if there is, Peg or Dick will put an "occupied" sign out so it'll be waiting when you pull in). Max stays are 30-days in the summer & 60-days in winter. Peg & Dick will work with you if there are a number of vacancies when your time is up, otherwise you will have to move along for at least 7-days. (I went up the road to Fort Storey a few times.) Gate construction is now complete and the main gate number 5 is now open, gate 4 (near the Boone clinic) is now permanently closed, and gate 3 (which has the badge & pass office) is open and closest to the campground. Base security is pretty tight but professional and friendly in my experience. God bless America!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or