4.6 36
South Carolina 170724
13 Feb 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We did a drive through visit of the Wateree Recreation Area today (2-13-09). It is about nine miles south of Camden, SC just off SC-97. Adjacent to the Campground entrance is a huge state owned boat launching area that is excellent condition and is free. All the parking there is paved and there must be a hundred parking spots there for your truck and boat trailer. We found the Wateree Rec Area in excellent condition. Everything was open and we checked it all out. Had a nice talk with the park manager and a nice young man in the office. The Crappie are biting and all of the cabins were reserved for the weekend. The RV park only had four sites rented and one of those was for the manager. There is at least two sites that would accommodate any size rig. However, as previously stated, some are not very level and would surely be a problem for large motor homes. I think I could get my fifth wheel level on any that would be large enough to hold it (38`). I’m going to submit a picture of site 13. There is a smallish MH parked there and the front wheels are at least 8” off the ground. Sorry about the picture quality. For some reason my shutter did not open all the way. In the laundry room we found only two stackable washer/dryer combos. Surely a problem at peak season levels. Right now they only have two motorized Jon boats in the water for rent and nothing else. There are three ways to get certified to check-out water craft. 1. Attend an MWR approved course. 2. Attend a Coast Guard course. 3. Complete the SC Boat Operator and safety course - free - on the internet and get a printed copy of your completion certificate. There is good news about the floating docks. Half are in the water and in operation and the others are there and will be in operation for the summer season. Two of the three launching areas are in very good condition. The third is not level but can still be used by trailers with larger tires. Our only disappointments are with the long drive to Shaw AFB and the dump station. We feel that an effort should be made to allow for better access to the dump station. We wonder how often “Blue Boys” have been spilled going up and down those hills or trying to use the station. Bottom line: This is a great little Recreation Area snuggled up to a beautiful fresh water lake. It is extremely well cared for and very clean. FastEagle
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or