Review Detail

3.9 32
July 25-30 2016
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Great for the Price to see Newport Rhode Island mansions and beaches! Okay so the facilities are a little bare bones. W/E only. Gravel sites are fairly level with a nice table. That's about it but the VIEW! Okay the shrubs and trees obscure some of the view but still you have a water view for $20 bucks a night that the campsite 1 mile down the street that gets almost a 80 bucks a night for just grass/pastoral views. It was still relaxing just to sit with coffee in the morning and an adult beverage in the evening and watch the yachts, sailboats and shipping traffic go by.. Please note that this campsite is not on base and there is quite a bit of civilian traffic that comes to fish and get on the beach though it is posted no access. Still we felt very safe as the police come by several times a day. Yes it's hard to get reservations. There is only 6 spots and they are not thrilled with anyone dry camping. They do have the room for some but they don't allow it. We lucked out and got in because of a cancellation. I was persistent and called to check several times. Anothony had me fill out the reservation form for the days we wanted and we lucked into 5 nights. If MWR would Spend a bit of money and expand and upgrade a bit this could be a gem of a place. Really it already is just where it is located in a very expensive to stay area. The commissary was going through renovations while we were there. It is an average commissary. The exchange had great shopping especially for upscale beach wear and other items. The Officers club has lobster special on Thursdays. There is free internet and computer access at the Starbucks on base. I will be back as it is a beautiful area and an easy drive to other touristy locations. You can drive less than a hour and a half and stay at Hanscomb Fam Camp to continue touring New England. Please see my review on that campground for more info. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 3

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
May 22, 2018
HI there, Anthony is no longer there. I thought he was doing a great job. It seems now it is run by the marina. At least that is who we spoke to for our reservations. Tyne person we dealt with did not know about the dry camping spots.....huh, aren't you steering the ship now? She had to get someone else to answer that question. They also said there was no dry camping...hmmmm. Anyhow, we will confirm this all next week and "report" back.
1 results - showing 1 - 1