3.8 73
North Carolina 133359
25 May - 2 June
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Smith Lake opened up for DOD members on 28 May, which was nice. They had a grand opening of the lake and associated facilities which had been damaged badly by a hurricane several years ago. There is a cost per person to go down to the beach but once in, you do have a lot for the kids to do. The canoes, paddle boats, water slide and life preservers are all new. They have 2 lifeguards on the beach/swim area at all times. This was a great place to park so we could visit the grandkids! Most of the RV sites do have some shade and have cement pads. Some leveling might be needed but overall we would definitely come back again to stay! Warning: If you plan on driving your RV onto Ft Bragg to go to the commissary or exchange you will have to go in the commercial gate. I needed to pick up a rental car at Enterprise on post, and was told to use the Honeycut Rd gate. No problem for my 30' class C, however DOD police said since I was retired and driving the RV, I had to go to the commercial gate. After telling him all I wanted to do was go pick up a rental car and I would leave and not return. A DOD sgt intervened and allowed me to continue but (if) I had to come back on post, I would have to use the commercial gate. Just a word of warning to prepare accordingly.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
June 28, 2021
Davidfenn50 - the gate situation changes depending on the day. I had my fifth wheel stored on post and used the Randolph gate to come back on post with no problems - at least 4 times. The fifth time, I come back, the guard says you can't bring it through here, you need to use the commercial gate. So, they had me turn my 40 foot fifth wheel around at the Randolph gate - unbelievable. So I get to the Knox gate (commercial) and had no issues. The next time, I use the Knox gate. I pull up and the guard asks me what I needed. I said I need to bring my fifth wheel on post to store. I show him my ID card, then they have me get out, open my truck hood and doors and do a quick inspection. Everything checks out and the guards tells me, next time use any other gate to get in. The Knox gate or commercial gate is only for civilian trucks coming on post to deliver. So, you never know. Just irritating because if you have a large fifth wheel, going to the wrong gate can be an issue.
1 results - showing 1 - 1