Review Detail

4.1 96
Aug 27 - Oct 11, 2012
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

J.H. left this review using the Directory software: - First FamCamp we have been at, where we could not get a drive through site. We had been at this Camp a week earlier and had not been able to get a drive through, even though we requested one. Did not really understand why, since there were several pull through sites empty the whole week we were there. Anyway, we left Offutt to head to WI, but had to come back, since my mother-in-law had a heart-attack and was at a local hospital. We were driving all night and I called the FamCamp office and explained the situation and requested a pull through, so we could get right to the hospital. I had a tough time backing in a week earlier, because I'm new at RVing and found the angles and pad width made it very difficult to back in. Well, when I arrived I did not get a pull through as requested. It took me at least 20 minutes to back into the spot, Later, I went back to the office and asked the two office workers why I had not gotten the pull through when there were at least 4 open pull through spots. They said they asked the camp host and was told to put us into a back-in spot. When I told them I was not too happy about not getting the pull through, they showed me a camp map with the the spots on and a placement listing showing size of rig and was told that only over nighters or someone staying the weekend get the pull through spots. Later, the camp host confirmed this system and went on to say that it works good for the base people who come over on the weekends, since they do not have that much experience backing. She also said this kept the traffic congestion down, since the people who were only there for a day or two did not have to block traffic by backing in. I watched large rigs having to back in to these small width pads, while pull through sites were empty. We were there for six weeks and I never saw all the pull through pads full. The last week were there it was getting cold and not too many rigs were there, but they were still making large rigs back in, while they had many open pull throughs. Did not make any sense to me. There are several signs saying that you cannot park on the grass, so you had better not or the camp Host will be right there ask that you move. Many of the spots have room for your rig, truck and a car, because the grass has worn down. My sister came to visit and parked in front or our rig and was on the gravel/grass mix area and the camp host showed up and requested that she move her car. So, if you have grass coming up through the gravel, you had better not park on it. The only place for visitors to park are at the office area, which is about two blocks from the northern end of the camp. The camp is clean, grass is cut on a regular basis. Trash containers numerous which, is nice. I've read someone had complained about being next to railroad tracks. Well the trains have about three crossing to go through within a few miles of the camp so you do hear lots of horn blowing, but it's off in the distance and you get used to it. Never really bothered me. The camp was very quiet. Right next to large lake. It it was not for the bad exp. with the pull through situation I would be giving this camp high marks. I did have a chance to speak to the director (cannot remember her name) and we had a very nice chat. She said that in 2014 they are going to turn the east side row all into pull throughs, so that will really help. She said they could be more flexible with the pull throughs on a case by case situation, especially in the off season. They turn the water off on Oct.15, but she said they keep the roads plowed and open all year long. Word of caution, the RR crossing does not have lights or gates, so make sure you stop and look both ways prior to crossing. Seems like the base could pull some strings and get a safer crossing sign there. At least flashing lights. I grew up in a small town that had a similar crossing and we lost two people who were talking and drove right in front of a train at the crossing-even though the train was blowing its horn. I'm afraid it is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt at that crossing--so be careful. Last year the camp was closed because of flooding, but the only damage I could see was the water rose up on the lake and killed a lot of trees. Could not see any other damage in the camp area.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or