4.2 93
Louisiana 101342
Sept 16 - 17, 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

My campground experience is limited to Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field and now Barksdale AFB. Barksdale wins...hands down! If it's it's peace and tranquility you're looking for, this is it. The new office, dayroom, laundry and bathouse complex is top of the line. Paul Willamson runs a great ship. The daytime employees promptly responded to every request (propane, minor maintenance, etc). There are two host families that are on duty, during the evenings, each a week at a time. They are retired, Sherman/Helen and Bob/Tina. These are GREAT folks, friendly and very helpful! I've had more interaction with Tina and Bob than with Sherman and Helen but both couples are super. Many evenings were spent around a campfire, listening to 60's oldies and sharing stories from our military careers. It quickly became a home away from home. I've watched late night arrivals roll into the park. Bob and Tina were quick to help the new arrival get parked and hooked up with never a complaint. The following are my only recommendations to help improve an already outstanding facility: Civil Engineers could spray for mosquitoes weekly to help keep the insect population down to a less bothersome level. Following a rain shower, the clay soil causes water to stand for days. Once again, CE could have a project to spread sand around the trailers. This would faciliate drainage and be less messy than presently exists. The office complex has a nice screened in room on the rear of the building. I would like to see the installation of a multi-purpose weight machine (exercise equipment). The base gym is 6 miles away and is inconvenient for those seeking a quick exercise experience. Overall, this experience has been great. The highest praise goes to the daytime staff and especially to the evening/weekend camp hosts. The hosts made all the difference. Steven Duke, MSgt, Eglin AFB, FL
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or