Oregon and Washington in the Winter

More
14 years 8 months ago #6406 by bull_dog_mcd
We would like to travel from southern California all the way to Washington via Hwy 101. Is thie feasable in the winter months, Dec - Mar? Do they ever close hwy 101 due to snow? How about Interstate 5, would that be better in the winter?Also, we have a 40ft diesel pusher towing a car, are any parts of the highway 101 too narrow or winding? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #6416 by morscuba
Your gonna enjoy your trip up 101. All the years I lived on the coast I cant remember 101 closing for snow. It does get closed occasionaly for mud slides. 5 on the other had gets closed all the time for snow. Its been 30 years since driving 101 but cant remember any part you would have problems navigating the MH and toad.
Have fun

More
14 years 8 months ago #6430 by Wanderin
The only place you may have a slight issue is on 101 crossing from Oregon to Washington. However, it is very rare and only a slight problem. On the other hand, I5 through the Siskiyous is closed often. I would suggest you watch weather forecasts and stay tuned. You should do fine. 101 is mainly a little windy but a nice road. You'll love the scenery any time of year.

More
14 years 8 months ago #6434 by bull_dog_mcd
Thank you very much !

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #6749 by monkey44
Don't know if you're still looking for info here ... we just made the trip (Nov 3 - 10) and Hwy 101 is beautiful and no problem with weather - lots of wind and rain, but no snow. Weather was very campable, although slightly chilly. But we had a ball and would do it again in a heartbeat this time of year. NO TRAFFIC !!

PM me if you want any specifics -- not much for MCG in Oregon, but plenty in CA and WA ... don't miss McChord (WA) and Ft Lewis (WA) is nice too (but more money) Am currently at Travis AFB (CA) and it is an excellent stopover -- FHU w/CTV and very clean and well run.

But that drive along Hwy 101 is absolutely stunning -- Oregon State Parks are top of the line and FHU - Don't miss Ft Stevens at the OR/WA border right off Hwy 101 ... very interesting site. Oregon State Parks offer free sites (10 nights per month) to Disabled Vets if you have DAV ID card.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by monkey44.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 5 months ago #6750 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Oregon and Washington in the Winter
This is a daily Cam for that neck of the woods.

video.dot.ca.gov

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds