Roads into West Point Campground

More
10 years 6 months ago #12010 by BIJ6165
We will be arriving at West Point campground next week. We are traveling from Fourth Cliff Rec Center (Marshfield, MA). Saw a review stating use I87 due to low clearances. We would more than likely travel in on I84. Can anyone provide more clarification, thanks.

If anyone has stayed at West Point can you please provide some insight on what some say "steep hill" on entry and a "switchback".

We are traveling in a Class C, 30 ft with tow.

The directions from this website routed us same route as our GPS will route.

Thanks, Julie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #12014 by wb5ldn
Hello Julie, Just take it slow and steady. We've been there many time with our 40 foot Class A and it just takes patience. Also watch for traffic coming down, for that can seem like a challenge! :sick: Have fun and watch for the black bears! :woohoo:

George

More
10 years 6 months ago #12017 by BIJ6165
Thanks George. Any advice on I84

More
10 years 6 months ago #12018 by Ed Kelly
We just traveled that route from the Fourth Cliff a month ago. No problem with the highway but we did have a breakdown and got excellent service at www.francmotorsinc.com/ . I'm one of those that has reviewed the West Point campground and we elected not to use it again. We still talk about the great time at the cliffs.

Ed & Joan

More
10 years 6 months ago #12019 by BIJ6165
Thank you, Ed. Sorry for the breakdown will remember the link you provided.

More
10 years 6 months ago #12020 by Sarge3398

BIJ6165 wrote: We will be arriving at West Point campground next week. We are traveling from Fourth Cliff Rec Center (Marshfield, MA). Saw a review stating use I87 due to low clearances. We would more than likely travel in on I84. Can anyone provide more clarification, thanks.

If anyone has stayed at West Point can you please provide some insight on what some say "steep hill" on entry and a "switchback".

We are traveling in a Class C, 30 ft with tow.

The directions from this website routed us same route as our GPS will route.

Thanks, Julie

Hi Julie!

I just left Round Pond a couple of weeks ago after visiting relatives in the area (I usually stop there once a year.) Take I-87 south from I-84 and get off at Exit 16 and follow the signs to US-6 towards Bear Mountain Bridge. It's kind of weird at the exit. Stay to the right when you get to the toll booth and get off at the exit right past it on the right. At the light, turn left (you'll cross US-6 and 17) and then take another left to get on 6 going towards Bear Mountain. At the top of the hill, the road will merge from 2 lanes into 1. Just past where it does this, you'll see a left for SR-293. Don't go straight!!! About 5 miles down the road, you'll see a firehouse on your left. Slow down....the entrance to Round Pond is just past it on the left. The road up to the campground is steep and winding, with limited sight lines, but no problem getting up and down. Just go slow and keep an eye out for anybody coming down the hill. It's rare that two vehicles will be using it at the same time, but it DOES happen occasionally. Just pull as far right as you can and you'll be all right.

The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds