Ellsworth AFB Famcamp

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #564 by FastEagle
When we decided to go on the road full-time we started researching the various RV options within our budget and chose the 5th wheel over the MH. Our decision was based on the amount of service time our motorized vehicle would have to receive and then added another 15% for the unknowing. Our TV has nearly 80K in just under four years and our only maintenance has been scheduled. Our 5th wheel has only been in a service bay one time and that was to replace a counter top that delaminated. Because we loaded it with "Stuff" we opted for the one 15k roof air. With a washer/dryer combo and extra large inverter we were pushing the 50 amp limits. We have always tried to stay in the warm to almost warm weather so when we pulled into Ellsworth, AFB, Near Rapid City, SD on July 10th last year we did not expect the 105 deg. Tempature. At 38' with three slides the 15K A/C was pushed to it's limit but did keep us cool as long as we kept that front door closed. The RV park at Ellsworth has a full-time camp host who was real helpful. MWR has a number of scheduled tours that will pick you up right at the RV Park. A two week stay will allow you to see just about everything.

I did not leave a review in the campground section but you will find a picture of our rig posted there.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1299 by rabeow
Replied by rabeow on topic Re: Ellsworth AFB Famcamp
anyone tried to stay here during the Sturgis Rally? since they don't take reservations, I was wondering how hard it is to get in during that timeframe.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1306 by oldchief46
I'll ask that question when I get up there. We were planning to leave this Friday and head up that way but due to a household emergency here in Oklahoma we won't get out that quick. Hopefully we'll be on the road next week. After a few days at Hart Ranch we'll be moving to Ellsworth. I'll see what I can find out about biker week.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 9 months ago #1366 by rabeow
thanks Chief, I look forward to it.

More
16 years 9 months ago #1416 by oldchief46
Well, we are here. We came in yesterday and the place was full. We were sent to the other side of the base to the overflow. The overflow is directly by the runway in an old parking lot. It has 30 AMP electric but no other hookups. We were the fifth unit sent over there yesterday. We only had to stay one night because five rigs pulled out this morning. By 10:00 am today we were in our regular site.

The place is full everyday and has been all summer, even with the heat. It has good 50 AMP service so you can run both A/C. Some of the bikers are already rolling in. There are two small trailers on the same site, sharing the water and sewer hookups. The larger of the two probably is plugged into the 30 AMP and the little trailer is probably only using the 20 AMP. As of about 5:30 PM today there were 11 rigs over in the overflow. (There are only 12 sites with electric over there.) About half of them will be moved over here tomorrow as people leave out. The restriction of only two weeks in moves folks through pretty good.

This is the first year at this site for the camp host. She does have experience though. She worked at Nellis for five years and worked at private parks the last two years in Florida. She does try to get you in someplace. Very few people have to spend more than one or two nights in the overflow. Also, if all 12 overflow sites are full there is still room to dry camp over there. The charge for the overflow is $10.00 per night. Don't know if, or how much, they would charge to just dry camp over there.

This is a very nice campground and you should not have a problem getting in since they do not take reservations and you must leave after two weeks.

Side note: Be sure to use the Commercial Gate. As we were coming in the main gate this evening, in the car, a large diesel motorhome, towing a car, was having to try to turn around because nothing over 25 feet will be able to get through the concret barriers blocking the road in the gate.

We'll be here until 8/2 if you have any questions.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 9 months ago #1421 by rabeow
thanks for the info Chief. We won't make it this year, but hoping for next. Good to hear they are fair about the overflow and move into the regular sites quickly. Maybe someday they will make enough money to expand with more sites. Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds