Switch from Direct TV to DISH Network

More
12 years 3 months ago #9440 by Grant
Swapped my Direct TV receiver for a DISH 411 box receiver and it will not hookup via coaxial cable. Only work with HDMI which I cannot get to bedroom TV or to surround sound. Wondering if need certain channel for DISH to work? Any ideas? Thanks. Grant Hachmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago #9441 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Switch from Direct TV to DISH Network
Here is one suggestion that might work, use the menu button on your bedroom remote and choose Video 2 and put the TV on channel 3 then. We have a Panasonic TV and also use Dish and this is what we do. One other thing to look at as we cannot hook up our receiver to the HDMI in the RV as we do at home; look at the back of your receiver and find the red, yellow and white holes you need to plug into and find the plugs that come out of the TV connections and plug them into these three colored holes, we do this for the bedroom TV but not the front TV as the front is wired into the King Dome on the roof. Not sure but you may have to have a software change for your dome when you change from Direct to Dish but your RV Mfg. should be able to tell you if it is needed. Good luck, know how frustrating this can be. In case you are interested in getting local channels we get 4 west coast and 4 east coast channels through Distant Networks and pay $14.99 a month to Distant Networks but the channels are on our dish guide. Google Distant Networks and it will explain what to do and how to do it, pretty simple and very fast.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9445 by bill6750
You didn't say if you are using a roof dish or one on the ground. That would help in telling you what to do. I know that if you are using a roof dish with a single lnb you will have to change the format to have it go to dish. I changed from dish to direct several years ago and had to change everything. It was a long process. Also another thing is the wiring in your M/H probably is not compatable with the new wiring for HD and etc. That is why you have to use the HDMI instead of the other wiring. It requires a different cable. Hope you get it done.
Bill

Grant wrote: Swapped my Direct TV receiver for a DISH 411 box receiver and it will not hookup via coaxial cable. Only work with HDMI which I cannot get to bedroom TV or to surround sound. Wondering if need certain channel for DISH to work? Any ideas? Thanks. Grant Hachmann

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9447 by skyking8
There isn't enuff specific info here for me to help, plus I'm a Direct TV customer all the way. What I'd like to contribute to this issue is about HDMI cables which are now the "in" thing.

If anyone would like to save a bunch of money on the purchase of a HDMI cable, then I would respectfully suggest that you do so via an online retailer. If you go to Wal-Mart or similar store to buy one, you will pay about $30. If you purchase online from some place like NewEgg.com you can get the same cable for $5.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by skyking8.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago #9448 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Switch from Direct TV to DISH Network
When we switched over to Dish 1000 at home the HDMI cables came with the receivers and we paid nothing for the switchover thankfully. Could be because we have been Dish users for about 15 years so maybe first timers have to pay for everything. We continue to use Dish 500 from our In-Motion King Dome for the front and basement TV and then have a Dish 500 outside connected to the TV in the bedroom so we are not limited to watching shows on the same satelitte. Not sure if it would make sense to hook up our RV TV's to a Dish 1000 as we cannot see access for the HDMI plug on our HiDef TV's without actually moving the TV's out of the built-ins.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9450 by bill6750
Skyking8 After buying several of the HDMI cables at different prices I was talking to a salesperson at a well known store about them and why they had so many different prices on them. The cable has several different levels of wiring in them. Usually the more they cost, the better grade of wiring inside of the cable. The better the wiring, the more clearity of the picture you receive. I personally don't see much difference in the cables but some say they are noticable. Each for their own.
Bill

skyking8 wrote: There isn't enuff specific info here for me to help, plus I'm a Direct TV customer all the way. What I'd like to contribute to this issue is about HDMI cables which are now the "in" thing.

If anyone would like to save a bunch of money on the purchase of a HDMI cable, then I would respectfully suggest that you do so via an online retailer. If you go to Wal-Mart or similar store to buy one, you will pay about $30. If you purchase online from some place like NewEgg.com you can get the same cable for $5.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds