Old Memories

More
15 years 10 months ago #3614 by FastEagle
Old Memories was created by FastEagle
Hi Ron, Are you from NH? I'm from ME and was on the Indy with VF-41 in 1964-1966. Fast Eagle was our call sign and VF-84 was known as Victory.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3619 by Ronmedeiros
Replied by Ronmedeiros on topic Old Memories
Yes I was born in RI and moved here to Nashua in 1972.

We were on the same West Pac Cruise.

Ron

Here is an oldie of me as a plane captain

More
15 years 10 months ago #3628 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Old Memories
I was one of the guys burned in the fly off fire. This web site is getting a lot of new members all the time and I thought it would be just a matter of time before someone showed up with a Jolly Roger. They have been disestablished you know. VFA-31 applied for and were given permission to take the name and fin flash.

I have a cousin that owns and operates a campground in West Ossipee, NH if you're up that way. The web page is listed below.

www.whitsendcampground.com/

FastEagle

USN Retired - PDRL

More
15 years 10 months ago #3631 by Ronmedeiros
You know I was going to ask you about the fire. My plane was 3rd in line at the cat when that happened. I ran and jumped in the cat walk just to try to get away ---- what a mess that was.

I'll keep the link to your cousin's site but with the price of gas I might just stay home this year until my winter get away. I usually go to CA to see my kids and end up in Fl for March and then home. Maybe we will see you on the road.

Ron

More
15 years 10 months ago #3643 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Old Memories
Our Skipper was the senior pilot on the fly off and was first to shoot. I was the AF Troubleshooter and was on the starboard side of the A/C and the PP Troubleshooter - and my best friend - was on the port side because we took turns with the Cat Extension switch. We both got burnt but he got the worst burns of all because he tripped over the hold backs and fell. You're only the second one I've ever met on the net that was there.

Cal Roberts
FastEagle

USN Retired - PDRL

More
15 years 10 months ago #3644 by Ronmedeiros
Carl, I had my tie down chains in my hands and like I said we were 3rd in line for the cats. When the belly tank split it seemed to be in slow motion before the JP-5 went up. I saw the plane go off with afterburners and didn't think anything of it. Lucky for me someone who was running starbard ran in to me, cause I froze and when I finally ran trying to jump over the side to get away from the heat and flames I forgot to let go of the chains and I landed in the cat walk and others jumped on top.
I did see guys going below deck on the way to sick bay with their googles and ear muffs melted to their face.
That was one day I will never forget.

Ron

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds