good towed vehicle

More
10 years 7 months ago #12066 by Hank85713
good towed vehicle was created by Hank85713
we are considering getting a class B+ and will need to get a towed vehicle. I plan on an E450 v10, but we do not have a 4 down veh to tow. I saw a suzuki samuri which is light but the guy wanted too much plus it was going to need some work. So I am open to suggestions for a light towed vehicle along the lines of the sammi. I am thinking KIA sportage or something like that, small, light big enough for the 2 of us plus maybe 1 or 2 more if need be.

Your thoughts, really dont want to have to get a tow dolly so I know manual trans is required.

TIA Hank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12070 by wb4zit
Replied by wb4zit on topic good towed vehicle
Yep, the Samuri, Suzuki Sidekick, or Geo Tracker make great little tow vehicles if you are looking for something light. I had a '95 Tracker I used for 7 or 8 years and finally sold it to another motorhome owner when I got my first Jeep. I think it was about 1650 lbs. and that is about as light as you can get.

If you do find one of those models, be advised they have to be manual transmission, and 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case in order to be towed 4 down. And you may have to spend $80 or so to put a set of Warn manual locking hubs on the front. Most of them came with automatic locking front hubs which would not free wheel when towed.

Mel Linville
US Army MSG (Ret)
2020 Ram 2500 Hemi and shopping for a cheap, used, small 5th wheel

More
10 years 7 months ago #12071 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic good towed vehicle
We've never had a toad, but have read lots of posts about that, a few on there, and a lot on RV.net.

One thing, really do some homework on it before you buy one. Some of these cars are "able to be towed' says the salesman, but in reality, it takes some other kinds of set-up or even a disconnect on some of the cars. Experience, like wb4zit says, is the best way to know. Talk to guys that have owned it and done it.

I would not believe a salesman -

More
10 years 7 months ago #12074 by ErnieT
Replied by ErnieT on topic good towed vehicle
We bought a 2012 Jeep sport 2 door. Stereing wheel doesn't lock. So all you do is put transfer case in neutral and tow. Didn't even feel it back there. You can even buy a $99 tow bar from harbor freight to tow it.
Ernie

More
10 years 7 months ago #12075 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic good towed vehicle
I just went through this process and decided to go with a Honda CRV automatic transmission. This is one of the few imported SUV's that can be towed 4 down with an automatic transmission.

There are some American made vehicles that can be towed 4 down w/auto trans, mostly GM products. Some Ford 4WD vehicles can be towed 4 down if the transfer case can be put into neutral and Ford does some hocus-pocus with the computer.

All things considered, we went w/an '05 HOnda CRV and it tows great behind our E-450 Class C. :)

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
10 years 7 months ago #12076 by BIJ6165
Replied by BIJ6165 on topic good towed vehicle
We are towing 2012 Kia Soul 6 speed. Lightweight great on gas. Towing all 4 down. Spoke directly with Kia and they said it was ok to tow. We have class c with an e450. Had to have a tow weighting less than 2,200 pds so the kia worked. Camping world did the install on the tow bar, etc. Bought the braking system from them too. The kia is roomy enough for 4 passengers.

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds