Kirtland AFB FamCamp Updates

More
15 years 5 months ago #4701 by Mustang03
Construction on the new FamCamp sites has started. Many ditches, lots of pipe laying around. The old Field of Goatheads is the area where the new sites are going in. The laundry room got all new machines also.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #4929 by Chiefswife
Mustang, I was wondering. Is there any public transportation from Kirkland to town. We don't have a toad, and could rent a car but public would be the way to go.

Thanks...

More
15 years 4 months ago #4942 by Mustang03
Can't guarentee the accuracy here, just recollection, but I think I remember a public bus that runs through the Wyoming Gate and there's a stop not more than a few blocks from the FamCamp. There may also be a bus line on Eubank Blvd, which is just a couple of blocks in the other direction. You might call the camp hosts??

And then I had a thought and here's the ABQ bus line map:
www.cabq.gov/transit/documents/pdfs/mar08sysmap-04-18-08.pdf

Stay on the west side of the campground -- less dust from the construction!!

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

More
15 years 4 months ago #4994 by Chiefswife
:-* :-* :-* Thanks Mustang, Thats an awesome site. It looks as if we can do without a rental

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #5739 by afchap
The 44 (I think that's how many) new sites at the Kirtland AFB Famcamp opened today about mid-morning. As of 6pm there were about 12 rigs parked in the new sites, with the old sites still full.

The new sites are very large ...long and wide ...wide enough that you could park your tow vehicle/toad beside your RV if you wanted to! They are heavily graveled. Utilities are shared between sites so the rigs beside you are headed the other direction. Those are the good parts.

The disappointing aspects are the somewhat crude setup marking off the sites, using telephone poles tied to the ground. Although the sites are graveled, the roads are not ...they are just dirt ...and the camp host said they told him there are no plans to gravel or pave the roads. It is pretty dirty out there today with high winds. But that is probably preferable to what will happen when it rains... On the last row, 6 sites, they have double utility hookups for some reason ...a total of three 50a plugs and one 30a plug for the two sites. It's anybody's guess what they are thinking there!!

It is nice to have more sites at Kirtland, but disappointing to see the result ...a gravel & dirt parking lot laid out with telephone poles marking off the sites. Hopefully they will improve the roads ...I see zero provision made for any future landscaping.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by afchap. Reason: attempting to attach image...

More
15 years 1 month ago #5752 by afchap
Got a little more info ...those new sites (total is 40) are being rented for $20 per night rather than the $15 they charge for the older sites. And Kirtland does not have a weekly or monthly rate like most famcamps do. There is a 14 day max stay, but you can roll-over for another 14 depending on the waiting list. So if you stay a month in the new sites, you will be paying $560 for gravel and dirt w/no landscaping, no wifi, no catv, no table, no grill. Maybe these new rates will make it easier to get a site, as you can get much better rates with more amenities at several civilian parks in the area!! We come to Albuquerque at least once a year for a month or so. We will definitely be looking much harder aat the other options!

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds