4.5 114
March 19-26, 2011
(Updated: March 29, 2011)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

First off, WOW! It is more expensive at $23 a night, and the beach "front" ones are a little higher. We stayed in site 45 and had a view of the water for a good chunk of the trip. Tip: Call and request a particular site. They do come and empty the dumpster in the 6:00am hour on Monday morning, so be prepared for a big ka-boom! We are already up, so no problem for us. The kids were disappointed that they were unable to have s'mores (no open fires except in the tent area), and my husband wanted to follow the rules and not use the tent area for a fire. Bathhouse was outstanding! We did not use the wi-fi or laundry. The kids and the husband watched some TV, but I didn't. Apparently, there are a TON of channels, and that is a nice perk. The location is good to the beach, the museum, and the shoppette. You will have to drive 15 minutes-ish to the Navy Shopping Mall at Corry Station to use the NEX or Commissary. There is a NEX on station, but it is apparel/gifts only. The Starbucks on station is only open M-F 9-3, but the one in the NEX has more extended hours for coffee connoisseurs. The kids did like to get their hot chocolate at the one on the beach at 7:00 when the breeze was blowing and you were right on the water! :-) The museum is excellent, but allow at least 2 days to see everything. We only allowed one and didn't get to see Hangar One. Also, the 11am Trolley Tour is the only one where you get to see the restoration hangar (due to the noise). Get your FREE tickets at 9:00 when you get to the museum at opening. They go fast! Also, don't waste time watching the IMAX movie, especially if you can buy it in the gift shop (a mistake we made!). We really recommend going to see the Blue Angels on Wednesday morning, but don't even think of getting a seat after 7:45am. They sign autographs in the atrium after the Wednesday show, but better hurry because they only stay for so long. The museum is busiest on Tuesdays and Wednesdays due to the Blue Angel practice, so plan another day if possible. We thought the sites were adequate for our 27' bumper pull but probably tight if you're longer than that and you have to park next to your rig. LOVED the concrete patio and main roads being asphalt. Nice for kids on bikes and scooters. The camp host probably thinks I do nothing but yell at my kids (seemed to be right when he'd be going by LOL) but boy is he helpful! His duty hours are over at 9pm, FYI, but he helped us back in our rig at 8:45. Great guy! This is by far a campground that gets great reviews from anyone we talk to. Quite a few regulars, come to find out! Call ASAP when you are allowed to make reservations. It was full while we were there and I called 4 months in advance. Enjoy NAS Pensacola-- we sure did!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or