3.1 39
Florida 116745
2 Sep to present (Nov 2009)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Mixed review. The marina has it's good and not-so-good employees. No camp hosts, though there appears to be a site (#50) for one. We appreciate the location, but there's little to do in the campgrounds. There is a nature trail, but it's been neglected. Campgrounds are adjacent to the Santa Rosa Sound with plenty of access to the water for kayaks or fishing. It's less than 1-mile to the main gate and just over a mile to the shoppette/gas station which is open 24/7. Main BX/commissary is another mile or so around the flight line. Restrooms/showers/laundry are available, as well as a small pavilion but nothing fancy. There is still the one older Class-A that looks like it's a part of the park. I think the owner tried to start it to evacuate for TS Ida, but it sounded more like a howitzer! Sure got OUR attention! Obviously a smoker, as evidenced by the numerous butts outside the door. The campground info is old also. Weekly stay is $120, monthly $400. Rotation isn't a big deal so far 'cuz there are still plenty of open sites. Total of 50 sites with just over half with 50 amp service. There are frequent rounds by USAF security. I'm active duty so it's VERY convenient saying here and riding my bicycle to work. If you're sensitive to 'the sound of freedom' A.K.A. engine noise, you won't like it here. There are frequent end-of-the-runway engine runs and training missions involving live-fire of the AC-130 gunships on the range. Hope this helps a bit. Daily rate is now $20, weekly is $120 and monthly $400. Also, if you're coming from the East, do NOT miss the left turn off US-98 (at the flashing yellow lights). The next opportunity is over 1-mile down the road.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or