Colorado 99523
May-June 2012
(Updated: June 17, 2012)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I stayed here for 39 days in May-June 2012. The previous posts did a good job of describing this FamCamp. Having been to the military campgrounds in Tuscon, AZ and Kings Bay, GA, I doubt this campground will ever be a 5 rating. This campground charges $22 a day – at the top end for military campgrounds and I don’t consider it to be among the best of those campgrounds. The biggest problem is the grass which is a type of prairie grass planted in rows about 6 inches apart and allowed to grow to seed with the expectation that the seed will fill in the area between the rows. There is currently a race between this and the erosive effects each time it rains. Right now, the grass is losing. In addition to the bare areas between the rows, there are other areas next to the roads that are bare, probably the result of campers running off the pavement during wet, muddy times. After each heavy rain, large amounts of silt cover the roads and site pads and it looks terrible. At one corner, they have laid down a special patching material to stop erosion and grow new grass. Because of the sloping terrain, they must do that in many more areas in order to stop the erosion and give the grass a chance to stabilize the soil. There is no camp host. I asked for a Job Description for the position and was told that there is none. The camp host is charged full price for his site and is then paid a salary/wage. This is going to raise issues of residency for future camp hosts that are full-time RVers. I asked how many hours of work was required each week and was told that there is no set amount of hours – it depends on the time of year and the number of campers in the campground. How could one consider this camp host position without knowing the job description and the weekly hours required? Outdoor Recreation manages this new campground and you have to see their reservation system to understand how far they must go to climb the learning curve. It is a manual system where the 38 sites are listed on a separate sheet for each day and then each camper’s name is shown next to their site number for each day that they are in residence. I am not sure how many days into the future this runs (reservations can be made 60 days in advance), but when someone calls to make a reservation or a camper wants to extend his stay, the guy at Outdoor Rec must go through each page, starting with the first day of the reservation, and find an empty site for the duration of the reservation. Since sites are assigned with each reservation, he may go through several pages before he discovers that the site he started with is reserved for someone else and he must start over with another site. During a busy period, this process could get very frustrating as it did when I extend my reservation. Those are some of the negatives and others have pointed out the positives. The sites are far apart and when the jets aren't taking off, the place is very quiet.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or