4.5 156
Colorado 174312
October 2 - 9, 2022
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We stayed for a week at Peregrine Pines FamCamp in early October this year and had a great time. The Academy has a gate, but security does not require registration, and access is described as "Open." So, I just presented my "Service Connected" VHIC at the gate and was granted access for me, my wife, and our 39' diesel-pusher pulling a Jeep. We then drove directly to the FamCamp. They do enforce check-in times at Peregrine Pines, at least they did on the day we arrived which was a Saturday and relatively busy. We arrived before check-in time (noon) and had to wait 45 minutes on the tarmac across from the office before we were allowed to check-in. We were told that they don't have an inventory of which sites have been vacated and cleaned until well after 1100. The staff was amicable and helpful before and during our stay. If you call this facility, you will usually have to leave a message. But don't worry because even though their recording says it may take them 72 hours to respond, our experience was that they usually called back within an hour or so and were always positive and helpful. We had to rearrange our reservations a couple of weeks before arrival due to a personal emergency and the staff took care of it without question or penalty. There is a large propane tank behind the camp office where they will dispense propane by the gallon on any day except Saturdays. At the time we were there, propane was $4.25/gallon. The base is very convenient to the surrounding community and there is almost any store or service you may need within just a few miles of the South Gate. The FamCamp itself is a lovely setting nestled in a shady wooded section of young pine trees. The facility is close to a fairly busy railroad track, so the only downside is that you can hear the trains going by at all hours and some do whistle loudly. However, the track is down in a sort of gorge behind the facility which muffles a good percentage of the noise, so it was not a huge detraction. The facility is very close to major attractions such as Garden of the Gods State Park which is a must-see if you are in the area. Overall, Peregrine Pines FamCamp is one of the nicest we have experienced and the "Open" aspect of the base is very convenient. We will look forward to visiting again next time we come through Colorado.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
August 13, 2023
Thank you for the review and the VHIC information. I was looking at the 2023 Seaspm FamCamp Brochure and it indicated sponsored guests must have a vistor's pass. I am not sure if this is a change or simply something that is not enforced.
"AOG and VHIC members are not permitted to bring
additional guests onto the installation.
The USAFA FamCamp does not sponsor guests.
Base Entry passes will be required from Security
Forces at check-in for overnight stay of guests"
1 results - showing 1 - 1