4.3 73
California 213860
18 February 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We stayed here 7 nights the week of 18 Feb 2007. Qualified persons CAN sponsor a non-military guest rig. The greatest thing this park has going for it is its location. Coronado, San Diego, Tijuana Mexico, Sea World, the ocean and the San Diego Zoo are all easily accessible. So, the park gets a top rating for location. From there, the campground itself struggles. Campground Pros: Location; nice marina and boat rentals available; small store; gated entrance, kid friendly. Campground Cons: Very narrow sites; no sewer hook-ups; bathrooms are not clean. This is also a Marina and everybody uses the same bath and latrine facilities and it shows; limited recreational facilities beyond boats on site; no organized activities such as cards or crafts; first come/first served policy selectively adhered to regarding sites; NO WIFI access without paying $4/hr ( and then it's very slow). As a retiree with 30 years service, I look at MWR as our club membership, yet, I'm not seeing the value. When we come to San Diego in the future, we will opt to use our regular campground membership and stay elsewhere in the near-by area at a park with the amenities we like, surprisingly at a fraction of the cost of Fiddlers Cove. I guess we're spoiled and we'll vote with our boots. The Navy has not gotten it right. I'd suggest they send a staff person to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson to learn from those who do have it right. As stated, the Park has a perfect location and if you're only using it for a base of operations for a short period, you'll be satisfied. The Park at San Onefre would be a better choice, park wise. This Park is scheduled to close September 2007 for 4 months (or more) for a total reconstruction. This should solve some of the physical site deficiencies. It's a GREAT opportunity to get it right! An earlier reviewer noted that they would stay in the dry sites on future visits. If you have a generator and sufficient water, there's wisdom in this thinking. After 2 nights in the partial hookup area, we moved to the dry area and were somewhat happier. Great views! This time next year the facilities issues should be a mute point. Finally, to avoid a potentially thrilling trip over the bay bridge into Coronado, I'd suggest coming up highway 75 from the south (exit 5A off of I-5) through Imperial Beach. You'll avoid the high winds on the bridge and snaking through the narrow highway and traffic in Coronado to get to the Park.
DF
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or