Review Detail

3.8 64
California 232157
Multiple visits and will return again!!!
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Please allow me to clarify the misrepresentations of disgruntled (not happy) campers that have had a less-than enjoyable experience in what is perhaps...the absolute best "military campground" available. Remember, first...this is San Diego!!! OK, maybe just Oceanside, (San Diego County). With its year round sunny climate, and average temperature of 70 degrees, Oceanside's weather has been rated by USA Today as the second most ideal climate in the United States, and the fifth most ideal weather in the world. Families enjoy nearby area attractions including Disneyland, Legoland, the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, and Sea World. CP´s Del Mar Beach is host to some amazing celebrations each year. The annual 4th of July "Beach Bash". Hah! Try to get a spot for that one. Thousands and thousands of beach goers attend this great party. Yes there is a huge professional firework display launched from the harbor. Then there are also beach concerts that are staged by some very deep pocketed sponsors and MCCS. Some of the guests that show up each year to pay tribute to the troops include; Pamela Anderson, Snoop-Dog, ZZ Top, Jessica Simpson, Blind Melon and Clint Black...trust me, the list goes on. Just a couple reasons this place gets a lot of attention. Oh did I mention the beach...easily 200 yards deep, by several miles of clean, white sand, a lifeguard headquarters and harbor access for those who wish to try their back-hills trout fishing techniques on some of the worlds finest, deep ocean Halibut, Thresher and Maco Shark, and the elusive Yellow Tail Tuna. And when you´re done fishing for the day; you can cruise up to the harbor for a refreshment, then cruise back to the on-base launch ramp (about 50 yards away from the cottages), and back to your campsite to cook it all up. NOW, for the attitudes of the management staff. This place is super busy from late March until early November. Packed every weekend with not only campers, but ALL their family members that are within driving range. So, for every I.D. card there´s about 4 campers or visitors. For a military couple, that means about eight campers or visitors. You want one of beach front spots? Try signing up for active duty. Did your time...reservist...DOD? Wait your turn; there are active duty members that are taking shells to protect your right to go camping. Give me a break! If you don´t have that figured out yet...you deserve the back row. Better yet...select a different campground. Instead of complaining, come during the off months when they have a harder time filling the place. They still need to fill the campground. All this makes for a lot of people demanding stuff from the staff. I think they do extremely well with what they´re given. And they have been given some new facilities over the last couple years. A new office, head/shower facility, laundry facility, new cottages, campsites with sewer hook-up, and several (40?) new (no fire pit) sites, still with full hook-ups and recently...new fire rings. The staff has never given me or my guests any hassles beyond what they (the kids) usually deserve. Speaking of kids...yeah, there´s going to be some noise and the dogs are going to bark. But they don´t bark all the time, just when the whiners are around, and the kids bite only when provoked. Get over it!!! Is this the place for you...depends on if you can handle the finest weather and finest camping area the military has to offer. Bring your towel, some Carne Asada, and a cold refreshment. Stay for the weekend. You might just fall in love. I have been camping this beach for about 15 years. Same beach, same staff, same rules. In the words of Nacho Libre..."It´s the Best"!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or