3.8 64
California 232360
16-17 Jun 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This was our first trip to Camp Pendleton and we were very impressed. Camp Pendleton is a large and scenic post with lots of attractions. Del Mar was a large campground with lots of people taking advantage of the beach access. So, If you like to be near the beach and don't mind being very close to your neighbors this campground is for you. We stayed on Row 3 stall 77, which was about dead center and within view of the beach but not of the water. While we were on a hard surface camp site, it backed up to the sand (not the beach) dividing areas where the fire pits were. Needless to say between us and our dog we unintentionally brought a lot of sand into our rig. While their was a diversity of campers, I felt this campground was more for the spring break crowd. The restrooms were very basic and not unlike a free public beach restroom would typically be. Of course this wasn't free, so I expected a little more. Fire pits were very accessible for each site and were used by most campers. If your rig is outfitted with a toilet/shower I would recommend to use them. While the campground allowed pets, and there were many, it was very limited to where they could go, which led to a lot of bored and barking animals. All campers who are pet owners should petition for a dog friendly portion of the beach, after all it's their vacation too. We originally chose this campground over Lake Oneal for our first visit to Camp Pendleton, due to it's higher rating on this site. We only stayed one night and that was enough for us. After we left Del Mar we drove past Lake Oneal to check it out and wished we had stayed there instead. Without question it will be our next destination. Either way, you can't go wrong visiting Camp Pendleton.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or