rendering honors as a veteran

More
13 years 1 month ago #8374 by digabe
In a 2008 congressional bill signed by George Bush, veterans became authorized to render a hand salute to the colors during the national anthem, passing of the flag, and 'to the colors' at the end of the day while in civilian clothes. Does anyone know any stipulations concerning hats. On or off? What is the right protocol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #8375 by cdrcos
Here is what the Flag Code says and there is no reference to hats/caps:

§9. Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

Since I am a veteran of the USCG and we do not salute when uncovered, I leave my cap on and salute as I would have in the service, if I don't have a cap on, I would place my hand on my heart as usual - just my opinion.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
13 years 1 month ago #8376 by belgique
Thanks for posting this. It caused me to try and remember what I was taught at Citadel and Ft Benning...I was afraid that I had mis-remembered. :cheer:

My apprehension was returning salutes of security forces at gates (most recently at Key West at here at Cherry Point MCAS). I always do and ask them if they're having a fine Navy day or something. I think (and believe I was taught) that it would be distressful to not return a salute. I didn't know some Services did not salute with out a [strike]hat [/strike]cover.

After reading Wiki and a few other sites Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salute ... I see I'm remembering right. So, I (Army) do it for retreat and to return.

Time to create page: 0.324 seconds