Virginia 180701
24-31 Jul 2011
(Updated: August 01, 2011)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I love this place. This is truly a hidden gem. Easy to get to and centrally located to most of the local attractions, as well as offering splendid fishing and recreational opportunities directly at the campground. The RV bathhouse was spotless, and cleaned daily. I was particularly grateful for the AC in the day-room at the bathhouse, both as a place to wait for laundry, and for the family to shelter from the freak 60 MPH winds and sever rainstorm that struck the area during our stay. The grounds are immaculate, and you can tell that the staff at Cheatham really take pride in their base. All that being said; for me, there are a few drawbacks. A few of the sites, namely 18 and 19 have no shade at all, and under the 100+ degree Virginia sunshine, the AC unit was working overtime to keep my 23' travel trailer cool. Forget staying outside at these sites due to the angle of the sun unless it's early morning or after sunset. As for the new campsites: I am very torn. To me , there are two types of campers: retirees in class A's and large Fifth wheel trailers that sort of mosey from one base to the other to homestead. And there is nothing wrong with that: they have earned that right. Then there are those campers that bring their kids and families and enjoy spending time outside, especially at night. If you are in the first group, then the new campsite is right up your alley and perfect. The pads are huge, with new modern full hookups. I do not care for the fact that they clear cut the woods to put the sites in, and then planted four foot trees. There is absolutely no shade in the new campgrounds. If you enjoy sitting outside on concrete, then this is for you. If you enjoy sitting around and telling lies at a campfire, then not so much. It's kinda like camping in a parking lot, only with shrubbery. There will also be primitive sites available, (the area was not cleared yet) and assume that they will allow travel trailers and pop-ups in them, although according to MWR, there will be no water or electric hookups. At least they are putting in a dump station at the new CG. I would sincerely hope that MWR does not close down the old campgrounds, but rather limit them to smaller travel trailers and pop-ups. I know I am going to catch alot of flack for this: but maybe they should have a family campground, and a homesteading campground. There are many more class A's and Fifth wheel trailers than little travel trailers like mine at the majority of military campgrounds that I have visited, and it seems that they are catered to. And that's fine. But please don't forget the smaller travel trailers with kids and families that enjoy camping. Apart from the above diatribe; this is a beautiful campground, in a beautiful location. You will not be disappointed.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 6 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or