3.7 39
Virginia 75359
May 2022
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

The campground at Fort Belvoir was one of my best military campground experiences. I was in Site 40 for one week. It was directly above the Potomoc River and my site was level. I noticed the sloping ground conditions throughout and that some of the sites might not be easy to get level, but back in at Site 40 was perfect. As I sat on my picnic table, I couldn't help to think about George Washington at Mount Vernon, just three miles away, standing outside and admiring his view; and how similar my view is to his. When we visited the city, we used the Huntington Metro Station about 10 miles away. The Metro is so convenient and parking was only $5 at the parking garage. We also visited the National Museum of the US Army just outside the gates at Fort Belvoir. I'm retired US Army and have to say this museum was so impressive. Don't miss this free opportunity. Also, you may want to arrange a free docent to start off the day. I think those start at 10:00am and are mostly retired soldiers and officers in the local area. They are trained and certified and will make the first hour of your visit very enjoyable. We also visited the Commissary at Ft Belvoir and thought it was a nicest commissary we have ever experienced. They even had a fresh seafood case. Overall, I found this campground to be a little pricey, but it was a good overall value to see and experience our nation's Capitol.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
May 30, 2022
Great review. I’m also retired Army and am about to embark on a year long adventure here in good old USA. Question is does the metro have a schedule for all the stops? I would like to see our nations capital, Smithsonian etc…thanks.
1 results - showing 1 - 1