3.6 43
Maryland 218308
June 25-28, 2021
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

It has been over 20 years since we last camped there and the pool was still closed! The location is great because there are some key spots to visit while in the area: Point Lookout State Park, St. Mary's City, Pax River Test Pilot Museum, Annmarie's Sculpture Garden (great for kids and adults), and Solomon's Island. The campground has some nice amenities but they have limited operational hours, if they open at all (pool). Sad thing is that the pool complex looked nice. Bathrooms look to be newly renovated and were clean. If you stay there, pay for the premium sites as they are better spaced and have less permanent residents and a closer to the recreational facilities (pool / beach / tennis courts / mini golf / nature trail). The regular full hook-up sites we were in were not well maintained: trash on the ground, ashes dumped on the grass, broken cover on electric pole, insulation ripped off of water connection, charcoal grill had a nice tilt to it, and the grass was long. There was a chair in our site when we arrived that I assumed belonged to our neighbor so I put it in their site only to be informed that it wasn't theirs and had been there for about 6 weeks! The sites were a little packed in but not any worse than some commercial campgrounds. I would say 35-50% of the sites were long term. The people on one side told me they had rented their home in another Navy town and were living in the campground because it was cheaper than renting. The other side appears only to come in during the week for work at Pax River. As indicated by other reviews, many of those sites looked trashy. As for rules, the residents broke them: washing cars at their site, being loud during quiet hours, parking on the grass, etc. My wife said it was not a Family Camp, it was a Trailer Park! They should really set one area up for long term and a separate area up for short term / transient campers. If you are a bike rider, take bikes. You can use them to get around the campground, ride to Annemarie Sculpture Garden, and into Solomon's Island (better than driving).
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 1

Comments

To write a comment please register or