4.2 93
Louisiana 101460
16-22 April 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I was a little apprehensive on coming here due to previous reviews, but this place is great! It was hard to find in the dark, so go slow and watch for the signs. It is a bit far from main base BX/Comissary, so plan accordingly. There is a small shopette a mile past the FamCamp, but it is just the minimums. It is very mucky in the rain, so stay on the roads when pulling in and backing in. The new construction is nearly done, but they are still working, so be aware that they will still be having to work around you if you do visit. They were very considerate of my kids when we were there. The concrete pads are well done, and the crushed rock access roads are adequate...another layer of rock was being laid when I left. Hopefully, they will get asphalt on those roads some day. There are a few pull through spots, (4 up front, 2 more around the back of the loop) so if you can't find a camp host to help you, then take a quick walk around and scope it out. I've never seen the set up that they have with many of the concrete pads, but it appears that the hook-ups are in-between two concrete pads, and one rig backs in, and another can pull straight in. If you have a 5th wheel, you'll have to back in, because you'll be off-roading to pull in, so the motorhomes should use the pull-in side. (Okay, I'm a little new to this, but in over 150 nights on the road, this is a first for me.) The new bathhouse/laundry facility is great. There is a great playground area for kids, and the base jogging trail goes right by, and is good for bikes and rollerblading. I talked to the Camp Host about people "living" there, and he said there was a lot of those types before the construction, but most moved out. During my visit, there appeared to be a few folks staying long-term, but most were just visiting/passing through. Lots of fishing and boating to do on-base. Other than going to the BX/Comissary for supplies, everything is right there out your front door. I will be coming back here frequently! Even if it's only for one night, it is worth the drive to get off the freeway and drive all the way around base.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or