Review Detail

3.9 39
June 30 to July 8, 2015
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This was our second stay at this RV park. Last summer, construction was going on next door and lots of noise. This year the construction is over and a brand new Hyatt Place resort is in place. Very, very nice resort and an excellent restaurant right on the water. And the Super Boat races were held there on 5 July. We choose and got site 1. This site allows you a great water view and no other RV to look at. Sites 2,3 and 4 are close together but fortunately only one other RV was on site and it was two sites away. If 4 RV's showed up, site one would still be great but the rest would be very tight. Full hook ups. The water and power (50 amps) are at the rear of the site. The sewer connection is several feet in front. And yes the other sites have weird sewer connection locations. The place is extremely secure. You have to call by cell phone to get the main gate open. The duty officer was pleasant and I had no problems getting in. Leaving, the gate opens automatically. Hours of gate operation was 7AM to 10 PM Mon-Thur and 7 AM to 12 PM Fri-Sun. This is a busy coast guard station and the on duty crew sleeps on station. The security for me was a pretty good deal. I am a scuba diver and I could lay my tanks out with gear and not fear anyone taking them. The fence is a barbed wire type and it also made me feel secure. The Hyatt Place next door is a high end resort so I guest that is a good thing too for security. MWR was helpful but for the most part they are invisible. I did inquire about the boat rentals. The current requirement is a Florida Boater card which can be earned over the internet. And a short exam given by the MWR officer. Obviously, with so many RV'ers living out of state, this make renting a boat almost impossible. The boats are $95 per day and hours are 9AM to 4PM and you have to clean them up after each use. Best bet is to go down the street and get a boat rental all day for $100 dollars and use it from dawn to dusk. You are not allowed to launch anything from this station except the on base rental boats. The service members store their boats here but they too must take them off base to launch them. This is a terrific place for walking and biking. There is a walk/bike path all the way to the old 7 mile bridge and you can hike all the way out to Pigeon Key and back. I recommend that you do this late in the afternoon since the summer heat is brutal. AS for Diving, Marathon is equal distance to the best diving in the keys. Key largo is 40 miles east and Key West is 40 Miles west. Diving in Key Largo on the Spiegel Grove is a thrill as well as the several other great wrecks/ Marathon has the Thunderbolt and Busch wrecks. Both are spectacular. And Key West has the Vandenberg. One of the best wreck dives in the USA. And it is unusually quite here at the CGS. I will return again and again.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 1

Comments

To write a comment please register or