3.9 104
Florida 211911
November 2006
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We have stayed numerous times at Coon's Creek. Enjoyed it all the time. It is great that they have fenced pet areas. There are two campgrounds, one at the marina and one in the old trailer park, which by the way is very nice except they have not built a bath house/laundry. They are both clean and great for relaxing or visiting the area. The campground at the marina is great because you can walk down to the beach and watch the cruise ships go in and out. Not to mention the beautiful sunsets. The problem we encountered was that as DOD civilians we could not make reservations at any time. It is first come, first serve. We have stayed at numerous military campgrounds and were able to make reservations. The other problem is the "long term" folks who stay anywhere from 2 to 6 months over the winter. So unless you have "reservation rights" forget about staying there from December thru about April. We have written our concerns to the Services area and to be honest their answer was why fix what is not broken. Most of the other military campgrounds do not allow stay of that length, or if they do it is based on space availability. In other words, if someone comes in and you have been there 30 days you are required to move to either a partial or dry camp spot and they rotate you in and out. It seems like Coon's Creek is used as a "second home" to snowbirds. Plus they can make reservations a year in advance. So when they check in one year, they go ahead and make them for the next year. My husband and I have a combined civil service career of over 54 years and will retire within the next 5-6 years. If you visit there over the winter you can forget about getting the "great spots" that overlook the water or are closer to the facilities because the "long term" snowbirds have snapped them up. Plus we have noticed it is basically the same people year after year. We were told that because of the location it is very popular and most of the campgrounds in the area are full. Which is not true because we have inquired with other places and they all had availability. While I can tell you that this campground is really great, they need to take a look at the length of stay rules so that everyone who is eligible to use the facility has a fair chance. Some of us who are not retired yet take vacations when job responsibilities permit. We may be only DOD civilian employees, but we are still supporting the effort and serving our country, just in a different capacity. The Services department which manages the facility didn't seem to think my concerns were worth looking into. But once again, the park is clean and well maintained. Plus the area offers a lot to do.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or