California 101346
23 April 2013
(Updated: April 23, 2013)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Nice campground anda good value but should be several $ less for dry camping. Currently $12 for a dry spot. Central dump station and you can take water on any where. Have been here a number of times but never wrote a review. Clean and well maintained. About 15 miles in from the ocean but ocean front at camp Del Mar will run you about $45 or so per night. Lake Oneil approx 4 miles to main side campen with PX, bowling and movie and fast food. Nice lake with fishing allowed but catch and release. Marines run PT through the area about 0600 so you don't have to set your alarm. 45 miles to San Diego and 80 to Los Angeles.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 1

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
September 02, 2015
Just to clarify, the fishing catch and release rule is for black bass only. I may also say that you must also pay 10 dollars for an on-base fishing license that you can get from the base game warden office just down the way from the camp (ask at the camp office for directions). To purchase an on-base license you must show a valid California fishing license. The fishing is great from a boat into the reeds with crank baits and also flies. I have seen many bass over 8 pounds and one over 11 lbs., so catch and release works here. The crappie taste so good from this body of water, they taste like they already have butter on them, and some are huge too! I have caught the largest crappie of my life from this lake!

The camp host told me that the new bath house/laundry will be ready for the 2016 season. I heard this years ago also...
1 results - showing 1 - 1