3.3 95
California 92573
April 15, 2022
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

FAMILY HOUSING - NOT A FamCamp! Base Commander has now turned most of the FamCamp to permanent residents, i.e. family housing. Edwards does not offer reservations, and price is $30/nite.. We tried to to get a spot in Oct., Dec., and Jan, but they were packed. Many trailers have outside storage sheds, stacked storage containers, plants, multiple propane tanks, large grills, dog pens, and other add ons. In 2022, the base added 16 full-hookup sites on the outer perimeter of the 36 original sites. We were able to get a site in April. Because most original sites have long term occupants, expect to use the new sites. I went to the Recreation Dept. to pay for site 50. I was told I had to have my RV in the site first. I asked how that would work if you have a Class A,B, or C RV. The policy is that you get in the site, then call and pay. If you drive away to get groceries or other activities, someone else can claim your site, EVEN IF YOU PAID FOR IT. You must force the site host or base security to enforce your site occupancy. The Recreation Department said they are not really set up for anything but trailers. They were willing to find a cone to place at our site if you leave, but that is no guarantee. The new sites are bare rock, which gets all over your shoes. There are no tables at the new sites. Long-term residents are now filling up the new sites. The old sites are narrow and crowded. Until the base moves out the permanent residents, this FamCamp is marginal quality at best. Under base HPCON “B” and higher, retirees and other non-assigned FamCamp users may only enter the base on Wednesday and weekends. For example, if you need to get off base on Monday, you would not get back to your RV until Wednesday. Check the base HPCON first. Overall, Edwards AFB is a prime example of benefits erosion. The drive is about 15 miles from the west base perimeter to the FamCamp, and you are more than 30 miles from facilities in Lancaster and Palmdale. The dry camping overflow area is now RV storage, with most spots filled with trailers.
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Edwards AFB FamCamp
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 1

Comments

To write a comment please register or