3.8 64
California 232160
Feb 15 - 19, 2019
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We have been coming to Del Mar Beach Campground for more than 15 years, and probably stay 3-4 times a year depending on availability. In the past it was usually very easy to get a space there except on the busiest holidays and during school vacations. Even then it was usually something that we were able to work around. For the last two years it has been increasingly frustrating to obtain reservations to Camp Del Mar. I'm not usually given to complaining but when I sit on a phone on hold for more than an hour in order to be disconnected, not once, but three times in the last year, there is a problem with the new improved system. The reservations used to be able to made for a specific site, however now you don't know what site you are in until you arrive. I don't really understand the reason I can no longer request a particular site, or even a particular area, but it makes no sense to me that I can't do so. The office staff, while courteous, were less than helpful when I had to leave a day early for a medical reason. I explained the reason and asked for a credit, or a rain check on our next stay and was immediately told that unless I cancelled 31 days prior I had to pay the entire amount. Since when?? This campground has developed a very business oriented feel to it. We stay at many military family camps in our travels and truthfully, if not for the convenience of being so close to our home, we would not use Camp Del Mar anymore. It is the most expensive, and most frustrating of all the services we have dealt with. Nellis AFB and Davis Monathan AFB could serve as examples to the staff of Del Mar Beach as to how a campground could function if there is a personal buy in by the staff to make it better. I don't sense that here. All in all, its still awesome to park on the beach, listen to the surf, have great (generally) weather, and enjoy the Southern California beach. Change your reservation system to be more responsive, allow reservations more than 3 months out, and keep the costs in line with other Military family camps.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 30 4

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
October 24, 2021
I agree with your comments about Nellis being an example, but I'm not sure I agree about Davis-Monthan. I stayed there in March 2021 and I didn't see any staff for the week we were there, and just a few people on golf carts. Communications was done by a message board outside the front office.
1 results - showing 1 - 1