What size travel trailer?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9486 by farrout
I have decided to sell my 32' Bounder and get a travel trailer.
The wife is afraid to drive the Bounder and I don't really want to set up a dinghy but do want a vehicle to drive when we reach destination.

I a have a 2008 Silverado 1500 with towing option. The book says the trailer should be less than 4400 pounds.

I'm thinking something about 20' long and under 4000 pounds.

Opinions?

Thanks
Dennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #10175 by Hank85713
did you ever buy a TT? Just wondering as the kids have a new tahoe and I have a 28Ft dutchman for them to tow when needed.

More
11 years 10 months ago #10180 by 17oaks

farrout wrote: I have decided to sell my 32' Bounder and get a travel trailer.
The wife is afraid to drive the Bounder and I don't really want to set up a dinghy but do want a vehicle to drive when we reach destination.

I a have a 2008 Silverado 1500 with towing option. The book says the trailer should be less than 4400 pounds.

I'm thinking something about 20' long and under 4000 pounds.

Opinions?

Thanks
Dennis

Ohhhh yes...been there done this.

Sold company, wife wanted to travel. We looked and thought a nice 32' class A would fit the bill. But NEVER owned anything and the more we looked the more we wanted, we want that, she wants this adn the beat went on until one day we walked in the door and ordered a 45 foot motorcocach. WIfe ordered it and we waited. It arrived and year one was a nightmare of getting this and that fixed and refixed. Out for a week, in for 2 waiting on parts and repair que.

Finally one day we had enough and sold it back to the dealer.

We knew we still wanted to travel...more looking and shopping and talking to everyone. After a few years of more research we headed up to the NW and bought a truck camper. A Arctic Fox 1150...we have NEVER looked back.

Us and 4 dogs lived in it for 3 months when we moved back to Tex and were having work done on the house we bought. We have made several 3000 mi trips in it and have NEVER wanted for more. We roll in, drop the camper and drive truck to see the sights. I get a solid 13.1 +/- .5 mpg (ALMOST 3x what the motor coach got). Its fun and if you make a WRONG turn just pull into a driveway and turnaround. Try doing that with 45 feet of rig! We go off road and camp in the mountains, my F 350 4x4 truck is GREAT and I have to use here on the ranch also.

My ONLY consideration would be another truck camper, no TT, no Class a, b, c etc. Just us and our truck going were they will NEVER GO!

have fun

More
11 years 10 months ago #10182 by monkey44
HA Truck Camper - not many of us truly know what real camping in an RV is all about until you camp in one ... bought my first one in 2002, and never looked back either ...

More
11 years 10 months ago #10183 by Hank85713
yes we had one also, matter of fact still do, it just doesnt fit the new truck! We had it on 89 F250 went all over with it. but it will not fit the 04, tailgate too narrow, side walls to high, would need to build a deck for the bed to sit it on and then modify the storage boxes at the rear to let it fit into the bed.

Big thing is when we bought the 89 they wanted more for a new one tha we paid for the truck! Now I read that new ones sell in excess of $35000. Can get an awfully nice TT or small 5ver for that price, and then still have more room to live in.

More
11 years 10 months ago #10198 by farrout
Nope, still have the Bounder. We aren't planning a long trip until atleast summer of 13. I drive the Bounder out once a month on astronomy trips so I'm keeping it for now.

What is a truck camper?

Hank85713 wrote: did you ever buy a TT? Just wondering as the kids have a new tahoe and I have a 28Ft dutchman for them to tow when needed.

Time to create page: 0.481 seconds