new to rv'ing

More
15 years 3 months ago #5412 by bosco14
new to rv'ing was created by bosco14
Greetings. We are new to rv'ing and will be picking up our 38 ft diesel pusher in South Carolina next week. We will use our 04 jeep gr cherokee ltd as a dingy. First, are MH's subject to go thru the highway weigh stations that commercial trucks do? Second, does anyone use the same dingy as we are and, if so, what precutions should we take with the trans case and tranny? Third, are MH's allowed to pass thru the tunnels? Our route will be SC, NC, VA, WV then onward to NW Pennsylvania. Any and all comments/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #5413 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re:new to rv'ing
No you do not have to stop at weigh stations. You can go here www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?ID=1073647 to find you vehicle for towing as a dinghy.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 3 months ago #5414 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:new to rv'ing
bosco14 wrote:

Greetings. We are new to rv'ing and will be picking up our 38 ft diesel pusher in South Carolina next week. We will use our 04 jeep gr cherokee ltd as a dingy. First, are MH's subject to go thru the highway weigh stations that commercial trucks do? Second, does anyone use the same dingy as we are and, if so, what precutions should we take with the trans case and tranny? Third, are MH's allowed to pass thru the tunnels? Our route will be SC, NC, VA, WV then onward to NW Pennsylvania. Any and all comments/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello Bosco and welcome to the site.

Some States don't allow propane true their tunnels.
Get yourself an RW400 GPS.you can punch in your RV height
and propane avoidance and it will take you around those places. Here is the web site there are on sale now
for $149,00 can beat that anywhere,

www.RightWayGPS.com

PS the RW 400 its the onlyone with RV guidance.
I tow a wrangler, I put the transfer case in neutral
key on ignition,Disconect the batt. and go.

More
15 years 3 months ago #5415 by gesuhan
Replied by gesuhan on topic Re:new to rv'ing
Make sure you check which tunnels propane is not allowed. Found that out, by going through the Holland Tunnel. Some very ticked off Police waiting for me at the toll gate. Told me never to come back to New York again until I learned the rules. Each state has their own rules as the tunnel under the Chesapeake was no problem.

d.bentley

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #5416 by Billr
Replied by Billr on topic Re:new to rv'ing
The propane in tunnels is a new issue that we have never encountered although we have been RV'ing for over 5 years and have traveled from coast to coast and border to border. This being said, we have not passed through the tunnels in New York although we have been to Niagara Falls. We have been asked to turn off our propane on some ferries though.
The height issue is a problem and we are always well aware of our 145 inch height and we carefully watch for low clearances. Our GPS does not seem to note low clearances and this would be a nice feature. We have only encountered though, one road (Utah) and one tunnel (Zion) where this was a problem in over 60K miles of travel. Both had work-a-rounds. We are mostly RV in the west though.
regards
Bill and Carole
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Billr.

More
15 years 3 months ago #5417 by lpittet
Replied by lpittet on topic Re:new to rv'ing
If your Jeep is a 4X4, there is no problem with flat towing. If it is not 4X4, you can check your manual.

Some tunnels and bridges do not allow vehicles with LP gas bottles. I know you will have to go around Baltimore. In Virginia Beach all I had to do was shut off my gas at the bottle. Each one is different. You need to check in advance to prevent having to retrace your path.

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds