Dependent ID

More
10 years 8 months ago #12058 by Slapshottr
Dependent ID was created by Slapshottr
I’m looking for information from anyone who has a dependent over the age of 18 who they are a guardian for. I am retired active duty AF I have a disabled child that my wife and I have been appointed as legal guardians for. What documents are required next time we go to update the dependent ID card? Local base could not answer this question kept telling me to call Tricare. Tricare doesn’t issue the ID card this is done on base in person. You actually need a valid ID card in order to get medical care under Tricare. Anyone else run into this how did you solve the problem? This child will be over 18 and not going to college. Any other helpful advice concerning benefits from someone else in this situation would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #12061 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Dependent ID
Tricare covers dependent children to age twenty-one ... if you have a disabled child, you need to go through Tricare for the medical certification. Once you do it, the Tricare coverage will last for lifetime unless child becomes Social Security eligible for Medicare, then, it goes to Medicare and TFL.

If you also have Social Security (for disabled child) that will help with the medical records. Tricare needs to get certification from doctors or other medical facility to "prove" disability occurred before age eighteen.

Send me PM if you want to discuss this in detail ... we can exchange emails. I've already done this once with one of my kids. It's a major hassle with a ton of records and paperwork.

Do not send originals anywhere - copy everything in duplicate.

As retired AF, you have the right to an attorney (JAG) to help you with this - go to any base and ask for legal advice. The JAG officer will help direct you.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by monkey44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf

More
10 years 8 months ago #12093 by Slapshottr
Replied by Slapshottr on topic Dependent ID
Here is a link another vet provided me with. It answered all my questions.

www.afpc.af.mil/id_card_entitlements/inc...children_over_21.asp

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds