TEXAS Veterans two GREAT bills at the state level

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #11357 by a Guest
83(R) HB-1162 and 83(R) HB-2235. Both bills give a bit of help to those with severe 100% disabled ratings. The first is a sales tax exemption for 100% disabled veterans and the second is a sales tax break for purchasing a vehicle. Both bills are sitting in the ways and means committees.
Sales tax reduction on vehicles is not a huge money swap, but it would greatly help vets getting vehicles and subsequently having conversions done to make them easier to ingress or egress or drive. Yes the VA gives a few dollars for the conversions, but no where near what it costs. It seems if your in the business of converting vehicles for disabled persons, the cost just soar, which is understandable at what some need to be done to be safe.

The sales tax exemption, for 100% broken folks is not real huge, but using my own last years purchases, would save near 1000 per year in taxes. That my friends is 5 months of groceries for my family of two. The bill on the sales tax exemption is very restrictive and is not a blanket for all broken veterans. You have to file with the comptroller for an ID number and its only awarded to 100% VA rated veterans.
Remember 100% VA rated veterans are restricted to 6k annual income or they loose the rating. over and above their pension from the VA
100% means full access to medical care through the VA.
Please help me reach our officials and show support

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #11372 by monkey44
Can you explain where you know 100% DAV can only earn $6k a year?

I know 100% DAV on IU can't earn over a certain amount - but I think the earning is same amount as the poverty level income, which this year is $11,000 for family of two.

But, 100% SC rating does not have an income level ceiling, as best I know.

So am very interested in your source - I know several vets that this will apply to, so would sure like to know so I can tell them if it's accurate ... thanks.

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #11377 by a Guest
if you receive va pension at the 100% rate, which places you in the unemployability range...your limited to 6k per year of additional wages...not 1099R from retiring, just regular income.
BUT
this came from the state veteran services officer va rep...so i need to dig the law
if i could squeeze up to 12k, I would be doing a whole bunch better

My 100% it all service connected and states permanent and unemployable
From the va website "What is the Individual Unemployability benefit?
Published 05/08/2006 03:15 PM | Updated 03/08/2012 10:53 AM
What is the Individual Unemployability benefit?
The Individual Unemployability (IU) benefit is payable when a veteran cannot secure or retain employment as a result of his/her service-connected disabilities."

I need to look at the poverty thing

thanks for questioning, thats how we learn new things
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by a Guest.

More
11 years 1 month ago #11388 by monkey44
The reason I say $6k is too low, is I've made more than that with no penalty in some years.

If you are termed IU, it comes into play at some amount, but I thought it was same rate as the poverty level. Which would be $11,000 this year.

IF you are 100% SC, there is no earning level to disqualify you.

That's what I believe - Now, please don't do anything just because I said it and lose it. I could be wrong. But, it makes sense to have a VSO tell you and show you the law just so your absolutely correct before you make a move and jeopardize your pension.

State veterans officers do not always know federal law as well, the generally know state law for state veterans benefits.

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #11401 by a Guest
My VSO was off today so I will search online

but yes I am IU as for some reason folks dont like playing in the sandbox with me anymore

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #11406 by monkey44
IU is not the same as 100% SC ... and the rules are different.

If you are rated IU, you have an earnings limit, but now am not sure what amount - I always thought you could earn poverty level income, same as SSDI and SSI, but maybe Vets is different.

Right, IU means you are SC combined less than 100% but that you cannot achieve gainful employment, but can earn a minimum income, and can work some.

It would be good to know that number, but when I asked the rating officer at my hearing, he said, "The amount depends on a lot of things, and each one could be different depending on the type of work and how many hours, etc."

For example if you could only work 2 hours a day, and the pay was $50 an hour ($500 a week), it would be different if you worked 30 hours a week and only made $10 an hour ($300 a week). So it's based on a combination of work hours and income.

IF you could work thirty hours, in this example, then you'd really not fit the IU category, right? Even if your pay was low. That's why I think the VA rules are different ...
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by monkey44.

Time to create page: 0.459 seconds