Review Detail

3.8 40
August 25-26, 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

There are two camping areas on this base. One is a 12 site campground at Remington Park. Google Maps shows this off Remington Pond Road at location N44.053113, W75.769551. Each site is pull-thru, level, and 30 amp, water, and sewer. Roads and sites are gravel. No trees, out in the open, and away from everything else. The other camping area, where I stayed, is 4 sites located on Officers Loop Drive right up against the side of a building that looks like an old barracks but is now being used as temporary lodging for active duty personnel assigned to the base for temporary duty. These 4 sites could be more accurately described as a very small mobile home park since 3 of the 4 sites were occupied long-term by active duty personnel. The one next to me had a woman, two small children, and a dog which was chained outside most of the time and barked at everything that caught his attention. She finally brought the dog in about 10:30 each night. This camping area had a trashy appearance and needed a new application of gravel to cover the dirt areas that had turned to mud from recent rains. There are no signs on base to guide you to either of the camping areas or to the registration office, Building 2229, which is across the street from the barracks next to the 4-site camping area. The entrance to the registration office is on the other side of the building and cannot be seen from the street or the camping area. Previous reviews mentioned a laundry in the temporary lodging building, an exercise room in a nearby building, and the continental breakfast at the registration office. I asked the pleasant young lady at the registration office about these amenities and she said that they were intended for the use of the active duty personnel staying in the temporary lodging but, when pressed, she reluctantly said that the campers could use these, too. The commissary and exchange are full-size, well-stocked, and appear new. I agree that $22 is in the upper range for military campgrounds but, by New York standards, it seems like a bargain. Private and state campgrounds in New York are much more expensive than their counterparts outside the Northeast area. We originally signed up for 5 days, but after 2 days listening to a barking dog and screaming kids, we asked for and received a refund for the remaining days and are now camped at an idyllic setting along the banks of the St. Regis River.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 1

Comments

To write a comment please register or