Featured
Montana 76146
May 31, 2017 - 2 Oct 2017
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I am Don Kostyal, retired USAF CMSgt, and I was the camp host for the Annex this past summer. The Annex is the Famcamp located ON the base. It has 25 full hook-up sites and 5 water and electric only. The sites are various sizes and the patio may be opposite your camper door. This is because this was once the base mobile home park. Yes there are sewer connections that are at various heights from your camper outlet--again, due to the previous mobile home connections. The sites are all back in. The 5 sites that are electric and water only can only handle a camper less than 20 feet in length. There is a dump site located at the Annex and if you are camping in the Famcamp there is no charge currently. The $2 charge is for folks not staying in the Famcamp. There are no showers at the Annex but the base fitness center is across the street and it is open to campers from 0500 - 2130. There is a public restroom, ladies and a men's, with a toilet and sink in each. The base has a BX, Class VI, Commissary, gas station (no diesel), fitness center, pool (summer) and a great Outdoor Recreation Shop with lots to rent and great personnel. The cost to camp at the Annex is $20 a night or $100 a week and yes there is a 21 day max stay. I believe the off base camp grounds were around $80 a night. Great Falls is 2 hours from Glacier National Park and a stop over for folks going to and coming from Alaska. There is a project to upgrade the Annex to bigger sites and 50 amps, but is has struggled to move up the priority list of things to do. 30 amps is only a problem when the temps go above 85 degrees as there isn't much shade but it I see a dry heat. Since the power lines are from the old mobile home site days, there are times when power goes out. During the winter the winds and severe weather cause problems with the wiring. We had a few sites down with no powere this summer for several days until CE could retire some receptacles and overhead wires--sites were NOT reserved for campers, but those were the only signs we had available to block off the sites. We also had a few days where a few sites were closed off due to a sewer line backing up from some improper items being flushed down the lines. While sites are first come first serve, I did direct some campers to various sites but this was because they had long campers that I knew would most like back into a power pole or to put them on a site with a patio door side. There is one site "0" that I would try and keep for a big rig tag axle (42' or bigger) as it was the only site at the Annex that could handle that size rig. Usually those folks want to go to the main Famcamp off base as it has pull through sites, but when the main camp was full I would hold spot "0" for a big rig. Worse case scenario, Walmart was only 1/2 mile from the base and they allow overnight parking. There is no laundry on base and Annex campers cannot use the main Famcamp laundry (there is only 2 machines) but there are several laundries around Great Falls. I really enjoyed my time as host this past summer and enjoyed meeting the many folks who came to stay. It was a quiet campground and with only one exception, all the campers were great guests. 
Report this review Was this review helpful? 10 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or