Review Detail

2.6 8
October 2004
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

My wife and I stayed at this campground four nights in 10/04 while visiting family stationed at the base. This is a dry campground area that appears to be well known to those who fish the river, have rough-it camp outs on weekends, and take their dogs for exercise and a swim. There are several graded dirt back-in campsites with picnic tables indicating some level of installation support. There was a travel trailer parked in a nearby open field suggesting that users may park in undesignated places over an approximate 10-acre area. Security personnel are present at the gate when it is open, and military police periodically patrol nearby. The roads are hardtop from the post to the gate. However, the roads around the camping area are dirt. There is a variety of wildlife along the roads, so drive carefully, especially at night. It is too bad the installation commander does not develop, upgrade, and advertise this area as a recreation area for family and visitor use. It was an enjoyably quiet and peaceful place to stay for while using on-post medical care, shopping, and visiting family and friends. We would again use the campground if planning to spend a few days at Fort Leonard Wood, and we are sure local users have an appreciation for it's availability. The campground is a long distance from the interstate to justify a cross-country traveler overnight stop; however, if someone wants to stop, plan to arrive long before darkness to set up camp in this remote area. Some travelers may consider this campground to be one notch away from boon docking. I give the campground two stars.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or