3.1 38
Maryland 75598
July 7-12, 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This is a small park that needs work. Improvements have been on and off the schedule over the past several years. Funding always seems to get diverted elsewhere. Check-in has returned to the front lobby of the Rec Building. That being said, the convenience to Annapolis, Baltimore and Washington DC cannot be beat for the price; $18/night, $9/night with Golden Age/Senior Pass (which is why I have been coming here every year since 2005). The park is generally quiet, though in July/August, the Naval Academy Midshipmen bring the Plebes here at 7AM for their running exercises. There’s the concomitant “HooRah, etc” that goes with 18-19 year olds trying to impress their “mentors”. I don’t know why they chose this spot; maybe I’ll write the Superintendent and ask him (I know him!). There are 14 RV sites and 2 “primitive” sites. Each RV site has 30 Amp Electric and water hook-ups and a picnic table. A common sewer dump is located adjacent to the bathhouse, with a set back requiring a 15-foot hose or some maneuvering to get in dumping position. All sites have level concrete pads, about 28 feet long; at least half can accommodate a big rig up to 38 ft. Sites 11 and 12 can handle a 40 footer (tucked in tight). Site 2 is the only pull-thru. The bathhouse leaves a lot to be desired. It is cleaned daily but the lack of paint and fixture upgrades has taken its toll. The showers are hot and the toilets work. If you have teenage or younger girls, you will precede them to take care of the spiders and other creepy crawlers that live there despite the cleaners. Or, just listen for the screams of terror and then go and take care of them. Exchange, commissary, package store (Class 6), gas station and rec center are less than a half-mile away. The US Naval Academy, about a mile away, has a respectable medical facility and pharmacy (if they don’t have it, they’re connected to the US Navy’s Bethesda National Medical Center, so if you have the time, you can get it). You won’t come to this FamCamp to hang around all day, rather use it as a base camp to explore and enjoy all that National Capitol Region offers. So if you can suck it up with respect to its shortcomings, ENJOY!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or