Cabin LED replacment light bulbs

More
14 years 3 months ago #7095 by chief runamuck
I've been looking to replace some overhead cabin light bulbs (single contact bayonet base 1156 type) with LED bulbs that have the same base, if possible. I have found a few sites that list lots of bulbs but I'm still not comfortable which ones would work. Has anybody a solution? Web site and part number would be nice, as well if you are happy with the lighting. Thanks for any help, Rich
94 Toyota Dolphin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7100 by skyking8
The 1156 bayonet LED isn't cheap. Have you considered the Festoon Dome type bulb? You could replace the bayonet socket with a festoon socket and be under $10 per light.

In my rig, I've replaced all of my tube type flourescent fixtures with standard house fixtures and 12V screw in bulbs.

It's a little more difficult to find a 12V light bulb, but standard ceiling fixtures are plentiful and costs about the same as a flourescent just one bulb. The added benefit is the fixtures look much better than the flat flourescent ones.

More
14 years 3 months ago #7115 by chief runamuck
Thanks, skyking 8. I had forgot about the old screw in light bulb (12V DC). I remember them now. My folks use to have a couple of those in their old Shasta. I'm thinking more toward those low power consuming LEDs right now. I did find a web site for some, www.ledlight.com/automotive-led-lights.aspx if anybody would like to look at. They just have too many choices and I am not sure if I'd be happy with the results. I'll let every one know my thoughts when I try some out.

More
12 years 5 days ago #9960 by leotinius
I want to cut it as its a bit long. My question is do I have to cover the cut end with anything like electrical tape or anything or do I just leave it as it is. Obviously it is not going into the water but it will probably get humid in there where it will sit. The other end has the wires on it so the cut end will be blank. Any help would be apprecitated. The strip is totally waterproof.

LED Spotlight manufacturer
12v led lights
flexible led strips

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #10103 by HermanBryand
LED's are fairly hard to manufacture to a big size. Compared to a incandescent or fluorescent bulb they are very small, this means that it is very hard to project them over a large area. Flashlights are a great application for LED Spotlight but Since human beings are used to large diffuse sources of light (like the sky) we get a little twitchy when a focused light illuminates our rooms. (just think of an "interrogation" room from a tv show with the one light over the subject.) Add to this the relative cost of LED technology at present time and you will find why other light sources are so heavily favored. led strip lights also suffer from strong color cast and are hard to color balance due to the extremely fine line nature of their color spectrums. Here is an example of an LED Spectral Power Distribution LED Flood Light
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by HermanBryand.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #10122 by polarlys
I got some LED replacements the other year. I got 2 different type, one was a pad with a pigtail that fit the auto bayonet mount. They went in nicely and work well and give a nice diffused light. The other was for a high intensity reading lamp also with the auto bayonet mount. They were pretty expensive and do give a very nice bright illumination butttt they cause interference with the radio and TV. So much that I had to remove them and go back to the regular auto bulbs. Still have not come up with a solution. I still have them and need to work on it when I get to thinking about it again. I would like to replace some others too but I'm being very cautious about getting more. I got mine from Dan at LED 4 RV. Try using google to find him. Very helpful, he knows his stuff. He just couldn't solve my issue.

Roger in NJ
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by polarlys.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds