Florida 443691
Dec 2015 to Mar 2016
(Updated: February 15, 2016)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Sigsbee MWR has gone downhill in the last couple of years. All they care about now is making money off the campers. 1. No more grass cutting by the base or MWR. Place looks like crap everywhere. This is in all 3 Sigsbee campgrounds. 2. No more MWR sponsored cookouts or picnics. The pig roast that used to be every year is no longer being put on. 3.No moving to other sites that may be empty. I guess it is too much to ask of the 5 or 6 people sitting in the office. 4.Roads need maintenance bad. Big pot holes and when it rains floods everywhere. Nobody gives a damn I guess. 5.They should build another bath house at the east end of the dry campground. Can you imagine 225 dry campers (rigs, probably at least 400 guests), and 15-20 tent sites using a bathroom with two (2) commodes, 2 urinals and 3 showers for the men. Four (4) toilets and 3 showers for the women. This would violate all codes in the civilian community. 6. This year they added additional boundary lines in the 100 section and prevented the rigs from backing up too far. This was supposed to be for storage which never was used. Campers were harassed if they were a couple of inches too far back which no effect on anybody else. I personally saw a handicapped person forced to move his trailer because it was a couple of inches too far past the line going towards and empty grass area. Ridiculous to say the least but nobody will say anything because they are afraid of the camp manager throwing them out. 7. Laundry room maintenance in the circle is hit and miss. Washers and dryers are overworked and not fixed in a timely manner. The change machine has been broke for 2 years, MWR could care less. 8.Rough estimate would put the camping fees collected at 180K per month. I am sure the employees aren't that high paid so where is all this money going. Surely not back into improvements in the campground. 9. Many sites in dry camping now do not have picnic tables. Last few years every site had a table. I guess they will not spend the money to buy any more. 10. This year the circle campground is over run by Key West chickens. They crow starting at 0300 and continue all day. The chicken feces is around the camp sites posing a health risk but I guess the Navy thinks this is acceptable. It is impossible to get a full nights sleep unless you are in full hookup with the air conditioning running to block the crowing and cockle-do-do noise. Why isn't the Navy health dept. looking into this? This list is just the tip of the iceberg about what is going on down here. It is still a good deal for the price but it sure could be better. Compare this place to Mayport Naval Station campground and the difference is night and day. I believe they are both under the same MWR management. After talking to many campers here most feel the same way but are too afraid to say anything since they might get asked to leave. One person had the Security Police called by the staff to kick him off base when he was given conflicting information by the staff members. When he disagreed politely the gestapo was called on him.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 27 0

Comments

3 results - showing 1 - 3
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
February 21, 2016
WOW... I was there a couple years ago and wasn't overly impressed by the condition of the campground. I didn't complain as the price was right for paradise. But now, I'm not so sure I would even want to return to NASKW. It's hard for me to imagine why an military campground can't be with held to the same standards as the rest of the base. I just sit here and shake my head in shame. Thanks for the information!
March 02, 2016
I agree with all of the above. I'll add loud generators, barking dogs, shower house not cleaned very good and selective enforcement of the rules. Last year was my last for wintering at Sigsbee. I went down for a few days this past Nov. and the same issues that drove me out in the past reared their ugly head. I was in dry camp and a guy next to us ran his loud generator all day and on the other side a new arrival with 4 noisy dogs. We left earlier than we planned and doubt we'll be back anytime soon.
March 08, 2016
11/15-January
Agreed... For our short time at Trumbo we had dogs crapping in our yard, neighbors that exceeded the decibel allowed with their music and loud mouths while highly intoxicated every day. Campers cutting through our space and knocking stuff over. High disrespect for privacy and personal space.
On a good note-enjoyed kayaking, snorkeling, boating, fishing and everything else KW has to offer along with new friends.
The old saying.... You can pick your friends but not your neighbors.
3 results - showing 1 - 3