3.4 11
Alabama 55697
23-24 July 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Location: The Easter Posey campground is at the far southern end of Redstone Arsenal, right on the Tennessee River. Outside of Easter Posey, there is nothing nearby except for the river, a water treatment facility across Shields Rd, well-fenced chemical waste storage areas half a mile away, and munitions test ranges, also about half a mile away. There are no shops on or near the grounds, so you'll have to go off-post in order to buy anything you might have forgotten. Access: The nearest open Arsenal gate after 1800 Fridays is Martin Road, about 20 minutes away. (During the week, Redstone Road gate is open, and is only about 10 minutes away.) Cleanliness/Hospitality: The grounds were very neat. The bath house was clean. Amenities/Facilities: The bath house was well-lighted and well-stocked with soap, paper towels, showers with curtains and hot water. There are two small boat ramps and and third larger one that was under renovation while we were there. There's a small children's play area (I'd say 8-under) and several picnic tables, grills, and pavilions nearby. We didn't see any vending machines. There's a "Danger: No Swimming" sign, probably because of the rocky area along the shore, which would be dangerous and slippery and home to snakes (we didn't see any). Value: $12. We were tent camping (roomy, clear, level ground), but took advantage of the electrical hookup (with a 50' extension cord) and the on-site water. Overall experience: The mosquitoes were ravenous, and not just at sunset, but through the night. Any spots we missed with the DEET had bites. If you don't fish or bring your own boat, there's not much to do here. My son and I hiked down Shields Rd and into the woods along the fence surrounding a chemical storage field. Surprisingly interesting and varied terrain. There were about 10 RVs parked (stored?) at the campground. There was only one other family there, so things were pretty quiet.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 3

Comments

To write a comment please register or