• Page:

TOPIC:

Football 12 years 9 months ago #2340

• monkey44
  • monkey44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 105
Well, we gotta hand it to the Patriots -- they definitely earned that record (s) -- great game by the Giants as well, with nothing to gain but pride ... and they sure earned a ton of respect in my book for playing the starters.

But, NE just keeps coming, and keeps coming, and keeps coming. A great team and a great coach. Now we'll see if they can win three more ... and end the season [with NO asterisk] !!! Great job, all of them, the whole team.

And hey Rick, your Cowboys got a steep hill to climb this time !!! M44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2347

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

And hey Rick, your Cowboys got a steep hill to climb this time !!! M44

Maybe someone will get lucky and knock off the Pats in the playoffs. The way Dallas played today their not ready to beat anybody.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2348

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Way the Giants played Saturday, wouldn't be surprised if we get a rematch -- Green Bay and/or Dallas will have to beat them to get at NE ... might be interesting rematch if it happens --

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2371

• skyking8
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Not being a Pats fan, I have to say that some of that 16-0 season was against some pretty lousy teams like the Bills and Jets twice, and of course Miami. Then they helped themselves by stealing a few signs. But I have to give them credit, they can put points on the board. They are good, even if I do say that begrudgingly.

If I had my choice of all the coaches, I'd probably pick Joe Gibbs.

As far as my Boys, I would have thought that they were going to the bowl with the Pats, but not very likely if they don't get their stuff together. But we fans know we have a good team. Why else would everyone hate them. :)

If NE is going to be in the bowl then I just hope whoever they play has what it takes to make it a good game. Nothing worse than having to turn off the tv at 1/2 time because of a slaughter.

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2375

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Have to agree with comment about some weak competition -- but every team gets a few weak teams every season ... Miami did too, when they ran the table in '72 ... matter of fact, Miami played more than half their games against teams under .500 win record. And every team gets a few breaks too, and a few ref calls -- for something like this undefeated run.

But, NE beat some good record teams too -- Colts, Dallas, Pittsburg, Chargers (the Jets :D ) and the Giants on the lst day -- that was no picnic.

And, I believe NE wins because they play as a team, not as a group of individuals - and that's coaching, not necessarily high-end talent. Remember too, Belichick goes out and gets "regular" level players, rather than highest-end college talent, and then raises the performance level of those players in a team atmosphere... Players want to play for NE because of that too, I think. And, when one of the players performs well (after this learning process) and wants to get the high bucks, he's usually looking for a job elsewhere -- notice TY Law for example. The Patriots are not about individual pay, they are about the game of football. That's pretty refreshing after all that goes on behind the scenes in pro sports today.

And, while we here -- I'm thinking Dallas or Green Bay for NFC of course, but don't rule the Giants out too quickly -- would be quite a rematch.

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2378

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

And, while we here -- I'm thinking Dallas or Green Bay for NFC of course, but don't rule the Giants out too quickly -- would be quite a rematch.

Dallas has already beat the Giants twice and Green Bay once. Now, if they'll just get their stuff together they may get to make it to the big dance, but not the way they are playing right now.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2380

• BackRoadMike
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just like Rodney Dangerfield, my Seahawks never get any respect. ;) I'll admit their running game hasn't been very good as of late, but they still have a chance. I think they will get past the Redskins. Of course, I sure hope I don't have to pick between the Hawks and Bret Favre. This decade is almost over. I'm ready to conceed it to the patriots and let someone else have a turn. ;D

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2405

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, right for sure -- here come the Seahawks, and San Diego showed some spunk in the second half, although pretty much anyone could do that against the Titans ... they are probably the weakest of the playoff teams.

Should be interesting next week Jags and NE -- two tough teams. Probably the best coached two of all playoff teams --

My guess -- NE and GB in the SB ... unless the Seahawks surprise everyone again.

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2407

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My guess -- NE and GB in the SB ... unless the Seahawks surprise everyone again.

Don't rule out the Boys. It all depends on which team shows next Sunday.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2409

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That's true about the Cowboys, and any team can win on a given day -- BUT, and that's a huge but, the problem with the Cowboys will always be coaching as long as Jones owns the team, and especially now with Phillips ... Jones has a hard time keeping good coaches because he won't stay away from the field and interferring with the team. So, he gets mediocre coaches (Phillips), and/or even occasionally a good coach (Parcells) that is pissed at him so can't do a good job on the field. In fact, the Cowboys often have solid players ... just can't get grounded when the coach and the owner are quibbling all the time ... Jones reminds me of a five-year-old with expensive toys.

Note -- NO playoff wins for Dallas in eleven years ... that's hardly a tribute to Jones and his abilities.

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2412

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

So, he gets mediocre coaches (Phillips), and/or even occasionally a good coach (Parcells) that is pissed at him so can't do a good job on the field.

Actually, I think Wade Phillips was the right man at the right time. Parcells ran the operation like a Drill Sargent. That may have worked in the older days of the NFL but not today with their highly overpaid players and the way free agency works. Phillips just took them to the best regular season record in team history. Jones definitely is a problem but Phillips seems to have been able to "work around" him. We'll see this weekend which Dallas team shows up for the game. The one that wants it bad enough or the one that showed up for the last regular season game with no incentive to play.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Football 12 years 9 months ago #2413

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, we have difference of opinion about Phillips ... but the Giants did not show much during the regular season (except at the end) but NE seems to have "tweaked" the Giants some. They played very well against the Pats and then again last weekend... and I'm not sure Phillips is the one that can get Dallas motivated again ... guess we'll see as I really have no favorite in that game. Plenty Dallas fans here tho, so never can tell. Like we said, any team on any given day -- even against the Pats.

Super Bowl Teams 12 years 8 months ago #2526

• skyking8
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Baseball, hockey, basketball, football. You Boston fans are insufferable!!!!!!!

So you have clam chowder. Everyone can do that. BUT do you know how to do BEEF BBQ?

Congradulations, Pats fans. 18-0. Very impressive!

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2527

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Patriots need one more win ;D ;D ;D

Giants sure tried to give it away though ... kick, kick, kick and finally a FG ... should be an interesting re-match NE and NY ... guess that leaves the rest of the USA out in the cold ...

"Unsufferable" says Rick -- ouch, ouch, ouch ... lest we forget how long the Red Sox drought was -- lots of years with out a WS ... 86 to be exact.

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2530

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well, our Cowboys didn't make it, again. I'm an NFC fan and especially the NFC East. So here's rooting for the Giants. Although there is something to be said about the Pats being able to shut up those old fish down in southern Florida. Always made me angry everytime they pulled out the bubbly each year when the last time got their first defeat of the season. Pats, with 18-0, have already surpassed that old teams 16-0 record.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2541

• AdventPreacher
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I've been watching the Patriots faithfully. One of the things that I noticed during the final games of the season is that the difference between the scores was usually a quarterback error (interception) or a fumble that turned into points for the Pats. The games were close, and well played by both teams. I thought that Brady was the significant difference. But, in this last game, Brady was intercepted more than once, and threw several lousy passes that missed the mark. Still, they won. Their defense came to the front for them. Eli and the Giants will give the Pats a run for their money in February, and, I think, have a real chance of winning. It will be interesting to watch the odds-makers set this one up.

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2562

• skyking8
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
"Unsufferable" says Rick -- ouch, ouch, ouch ... lest we forget how long the Red Sox drought was -- lots of years with out a WS ... 86 to be exact.
[/quote]

Monkey> It?s ?insufferable? because you have too many winning teams up there. You?re hogging all the glory. I suspect Tiger is a latent Bostonian. J

Everyone knows that the real rival hatred in the NFC East is between the Redskins and the Dallas, so I?m not against New York despite the fact that they made my Boys look bad. But there is something not quite right about a wild card team going to the super bowl. Doesn?t matter that they won the right to do so. It just isn?t quite right. So this Cowboy fan is going to go ?all in? for the Pats.

Only for this season, tho!!

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2564

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
As we all know, on any given day any NFL team can beat any other NFL team. And, we play this out so the team the wins when it counts, gets the "big pot" at the end. Although I do have many favorite home-teams and home-towns, having moved around alot ... I was born here in Mass and so these are my all over favorite teams (Red Sox and Patriots) ... and Boston teams keep winning in part because of fan support ... I also frequently winter in Tampa and grew up in Los Angeles, and lived near Oakland and San Fransisco, and my wife is from Buffalo ... etc, etc, etc ... so I always have a team to root for.

But more than anything, I like to see good games and good sportsmanship ...

Re: Football 12 years 8 months ago #2566

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

But more than anything, I like to see good games and good sportsmanship ...

I'll settle for a good game. ;D
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re:Football 11 years 6 months ago #5762

• Sarge3398
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Hmmmm....I was browsing through this thread and happened to notice that there was never any closing remarks. Even though it's over a year ago, and this year ended in disappointment for my Giants......I would be remiss in not pointing out that the Big Blue Wrecking Crew whipped ALL OF YOUR FAVORED TEAMS to win the big one and send the Patsy's back to Boston with a miserable 18 and done record.......:woohoo:

Sorry guys, I just couldn't help myself....LOL
The only thing wrong with being retired is that you never get a day off!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds