• Page:

TOPIC:

Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 months ago #469

• karylkoch
  • karylkoch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
We were in the Gulf area and we wanted to buy some Gulf Shrimp. We looked in the Commissary and the Supper Walmart because it was convenient, at the time. We could only find shrimp from China and Indonesia. We later were able to find the shrimp, but I started to become interested, in where our seafood was coming from. I was shocked to see that most of it comes from overseas, and especially China. Several years ago, we picked up a can of Philip's crab meat, and saw it was from Indonesia, what was surprising, is that Philip's is a well known name in MD, so you could assume it was MD crab meat. Now that the dog/cat food controversy has taken place, and the blame goes to China, I'm even became more concerned about our food coming from overseas. Why do we have to get our food from oversea? >:( >:(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 months ago #471

• fiatspider79
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Because U.S. business executives would rather pay pennies to Chineese fisherman, packers and shippers rather than pay a living wage to a U.S. fisherman, packer and shipper. That way they get to pocket more of the money to send to their off-shore banks.

The other reason is that we let them do it.

Glenn

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 months ago #497

• FastEagle
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 5
You went to the wrong places. When in the "Gulf" do as the locals do and go to the local fish market.

FastEagle
2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 months ago #503

• fiatspider79
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Gotta agree with you on this one sailor. But I think it will be quite a while until the wife and I feel up to seafood again. It's gonna be burgers and fries for this GI for many moons.
Glenn

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 3 months ago #699

• milestogo
If you get back to the Pensacola area on the Gulf try Joe Patti's. We make a trip there on a regular basis and it is well worth it. It is right on the docks and the fish is right off the boats. Price is often about 1/2 to 3/4 what it is in the supermarkets. Super market stock is often previously frozen. Not the case at Joe Patti's. Try the tuna steaks -- they are to die for!!! Just don't over cook them. Tuna should be grilled only until the center is still red/pink. They also have a web site www.joepattis.com.

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 1 month ago #1270

• OurVee
my wife is a compulsive label reader, not a bad thing considering all the tainted stuff out there lately. Her Father always said to buy American, and she sticks to it as much as possible-hard to do these days-especially with our food. We try to get our seafood and produce from local markets, but found some of the local fishmongers selling the imported stuff on the quiet. She asked one if the shrimp was "Florida Shrimp" and the answer she got was "it's from Mexico, but the Gulf is the Gulf, right?" She left the basket there. She gets it all now from the local Winn Dixie(Central Florida). They usually have a large supply of "Key West Pinks" and a nice selection of Alaskan fish in the frozen section. Look for the "Product of USA" stamp or label on the back. It's gonna cost, maybe a dollar more than the other stuff, but at least we know whats in it.

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 1 month ago #1275

• AdventPreacher
Any of you folks that want seafood, travel up the east coast as far as you can go and still be in the u.s. Our Maine seafood is some of the best in the world. And, you can get it fresh in almost any local restaurant. Sadly, there are very few military famcamps here.

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 weeks ago #1292

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Because U.S. business executives would rather pay pennies to Chineese fisherman, packers and shippers rather than pay a living wage to a U.S. fisherman, packer and shipper. That way they get to pocket more of the money to send to their off-shore banks.

The other reason is that we let them do it.

Glenn

Glenn,

You are right. The Farmers Union, the voice of the family farmer in this country, has been trying to get Congress to pass a requirement that all food, meats, veggies, etc., be labeled with it's country of origin. Each year the bill gets introduced but never gets out of committee. I get made fun of because of my "buy USA" attitude. But, that is getting harder to do every year.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Seafood Question??? 14 years 4 weeks ago #1294

• karylkoch
  • karylkoch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
I wrote this topic in March, with my concerns. This week you may have seen the reports on the news about the government cracking down, on fish coming from China. I have found my concern was well founded. They have been loading the fish with drugs, to keep them "healthy". Now the government said, they will be checking the fish, but not taking them off the market. We are now being told to ask, where the fish are coming from. Sounds like a good idea, I already was doing this, but do you think a merchant could ever lie, about this? They said, the fish would only cause harm after eating them long term. When will they wake up, first our pet food, then our toothpaste, and lead in the toys, of a popular cartoon character. We seem to be giving our country away, first to jobs, and now putting the health of the people, to a country, that is far from being an Allie. I had my own private boycott, concerning fish, but I never believed all this would occur since March. How many times do we order fish/shrimp, from a restaurant, where we don't have a clue where it is coming from.

We recently were in a store, that had a large display, with a sign that said, local crab meat. My husband picked it up, to find it was from Taiwan. If a large chain food store, is misrepresenting there product, how are we to know, what we are eating.

Re: Seafood Question??? 13 years 9 months ago #1908

• 2ADBandDuo
I may be a bit late coming to this thread, but these last 2 posts are on target. My brother-in-law is a veal farmer in upstate New York (staying there now!), and he has been educating me in the Country of Origin labeling proposals. Turning to hamburgers and fries is not the answer, as beef is being imported and who knows what supplements or hormones are fed in other countries! Lots of our food supply is now coming in from other countries, and only a tiny percentage (less than 2%) is inspected. Reed those food labels and look at the stickers on fruit. Read up on Country of Origin legislation, and check out New York Farm Bureau at: nyfb.org.

Jeff

Re: Seafood Question??? 13 years 9 months ago #1909

• monkey44
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 106
We grew a lot of our own livestock and produce when I was growing up in California -- but we still didn't know where all the livestock feed was from ... although mostly, it was home-graze, we still had lots of supplements -- grain, vitamins, etc.

Wasn't too worried about it 50 or so years ago, but would look a little closer now if still "growing my own" ... hard to tell where anything's from anymore unless you pull it out of the ground yourself, or get it right behind the left shoulder as it climbs the hill in front of you !!

Re: Seafood Question??? 13 years 9 months ago #1912

• bblhed
  • Thank you received: 1
There is more to this problem than just the companies wanting to put money in their own pockets, there are the consumers that want to save a buck that are driving the demand for low priced sea food. Another problem that we have in this country is our I want it now attitude.

Pigs, Cows, and Chickens hang out here in the states all year just waiting for us to eat them so there isn't too much of a call for importing them. Fishing is highly regulated here in the US and that drove a lot of the independent fishermen out of business. Combine that with fish harvest seasons that are designed for sustainable fishing and the natural habits of fish to want to run only at certain times of the year and you can see why companies are going off shore, so that they can offer fresh sea food all year. Add to that fruits and veggies that people are bringing in from all over and you can see how the problem just explodes.

Offshoreing of food was started by the desire for fresh fruits and veggies in winter, that expanded into desire for fall fish in spring and shell fish in months without R in them. Once suppliers found out that there was a demand for all this stuff, and that the people that could supply it in the "off" season could provide it cheaper it was the beginning of the end for American food suppliers.

Remember if you want to only eat American you are going to have to make some sacrifices like only eating food that is in season, or preserved by freezing or canning. In the long run it will probably be worth it.

Re: Seafood Question??? 13 years 9 months ago #1932

• Mustang03
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Now here's a little tidbit to make your day... I used to know a Calif. Fish & Game officer who worked the Salton Sea and surrounding area. A major headache was the Vietnamese gangs coming out there and gill-netting fish out of the Sea. Very lucrative! They could spend a night, fill a pickup bed with fish and take it in to Chinatown in LA where they sold it on the street for a bunch of money in a matter of a couple of hours, tops. Now I'll eat a lot of things, but a fish from the Salton Sea is NOT one of them. This agent told me (and showed me too) that he lost toenails whenever he had to wade in after them whenever they refused to get out of the water. They would fall off in the shower when he got home just from immersion in the water. God only knows how fish were living in that stuff!

So, needless to say, in LA's Chinatown I never order the fish. Even if it is home-grown.

Really lookng forward to visiting Maine for some fresh seafood!
B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Re: Seafood Question??? 13 years 9 months ago #1933

• bill6750
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
We are in Bar Harbor, Maine right now. The fresh lobster is great. I cooked some yesterday. It was my first time for fresh lobster. What a deal. Cheap and really tasted great. On our way to the Keys.
Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds