• Page:

TOPIC:

I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3427

• utmtman
  • utmtman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Took my Sonoma into the shop yesterday for an oil change and to have a few things checked out. When all was said and done I was looking at a grand to fix all the little aches and pains. Still trying to figure out how I managed to drive it with the fan hangin around trying to eject itself and never heard anything.
Anyway long story short we bought us a 06 Saturn Vue that supposedly gets 23/29 and our GMC was only getting 18. Used to get 22. Dang I like saturn they were thinking about us, the book with it has a section Dinghy Towing and tells what we got to do to tow Dolly or Four down. Would cost 3000 to convert it over to four down so for now will continue to dolly tow but glad to have the option available to us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3430

• skyking8
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 24
I used to change the oil in my diesel pusher because it was a $125 job in an RV shop and I could do it for about $50. Then I found that some of the newer Wal-Marts have bays that are tall enough to accomandate the rig. I buy the filter and they change the oil. Total cost $65.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3433

• utmtman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Used to do all my own mechanics until I had a alignment rack fall on me on a job. Now I am gunshy about being around vehicles and working on them. Besides all that I used to know is almost useless now day.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3434

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I used to change the oil in my diesel pusher because it was a $125 job in an RV shop and I could do it for about $50. Then I found that some of the newer Wal-Marts have bays that are tall enough to accomandate the rig. I buy the filter and they change the oil. Total cost $65.

Where are you finding a Wal-Mart that will do a diesel. When we drove a gas coach I took it to Wal-Mart in Oklahoma City and got LOF for $35.00. When I traded up to diesel they declined. Cummins in OKC charges $295.00 for LOF. Fuel filter change is extra, which should be done everytime you change your oil. (Actually, Cummins says with the new ULSD you should change these filters more often.)
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3435

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Anyway long story short we bought us a 06 Saturn Vue that supposedly gets 23/29 and our GMC was only getting 18. Used to get 22. Dang I like saturn they were thinking about us, the book with it has a section Dinghy Towing and tells what we got to do to tow Dolly or Four down. Would cost 3000 to convert it over to four down so for now will continue to dolly tow but glad to have the option available to us.

Why three grand to rig for towing four wheels down? Had my HHR done at Camping World. Mounting of the Roadmaster baseplate and wiring the tail and brake lights was just over $600.00. Although I already had a Roadmaster towbar I've since had to replace it for less than $300.00. Whole thing for less than $1000.00.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3439

• skyking8
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Where are you finding a Wal-Mart that will do a diesel. When we drove a gas coach I took it to Wal-Mart in Oklahoma City and got LOF for $35.00. When I traded up to diesel they declined. Cummins in OKC charges $295.00 for LOF. Fuel filter change is extra, which should be done everytime you change your oil. (Actually, Cummins says with the new ULSD you should change these filters more often.)

Odd, that they do a gas rig but wouldn't do a diesel. Nothing different except engine location and they sell the oil anyway.

I had it done twice. Once in my home town and once on the road. Both were smaller towns but with a newer store that had the tall bays.

If Cummins is charging that much, maybe I should go into the oil changing business. That's easy money. The hardest part of the job is figuring out where to dispose of 20 + qts of oil.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3440

• monkey44
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 106
A ridiculous quesion from a 'non-diesel" guy -- is it the same oil that goes in a gas and a diesel??

If so, I don't know why some would do it some not -- Sounds like a great business to me -- you sell 5 qts (installed) for 30, or 20 qts (installed) for 200+ ... seems a no-brainer to me. But, I've enever done a diesel so wonder if there is more work to it, I mean besides the time it takes to pour more oil (and that's usually through a pump-rig anyway??) So maybe one of you diesel guys can explain it.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3441

• utmtman
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Well there was the tow bar, the mounting brackets, and the brake unit was 1000, and than I wanted the front guard which was 400. So the rest was the tow bar and brackets plus mounting.
I hope you have a brake unit in yours old chief.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3442

• mikecfr
Diesel and gasoline engines use different oil. You want to make sure you use diesel oil in a diesel engine. It will usually have somewhere on the oil can, "SD" and a bunch of other codes. But, the SD is important for diesel engines. Just like my ATV. It uses a different oil than either gas or diesel engines.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3447

• bblhed
  • Thank you received: 1

A ridiculous quesion from a 'non-diesel" guy -- is it the same oil that goes in a gas and a diesel??

If so, I don't know why some would do it some not -- Sounds like a great business to me -- you sell 5 qts (installed) for 30, or 20 qts (installed) for 200+ ... seems a no-brainer to me. But, I've enever done a diesel so wonder if there is more work to it, I mean besides the time it takes to pour more oil (and that's usually through a pump-rig anyway??) So maybe one of you diesel guys can explain it.

See mikecfr's post above. But here is the strange thing you can't use any old motor oil in a diesel you have to use the one with the SD code on it, it has to do with Sulfur content, but you can use SD oil in a gasoline engine. I knew pumping gas at at age 16 would pay off some day, I guess today was the day.

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3449

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

I hope you have a brake unit in yours old chief.

Wouldn't move my rig and toad without having the tow brake installed. Bought it several years ago with a different car and coach. Just moved it to the new car and then later to the new coach when I moved up to diesel. The biggest problem on doing the oil change on my rig is the rear facing radiator. Because of that you cannot access the engine compartment from the back. Either slide underneath or go in through the access hole in the bedroom. I love my Monaco Cayman but my next coach will move up the food chain far enough to have a side radiator.
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3458

• franknsandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I change my diesel myself. It is very easy to get to, even the filter. Walmart takes the oil, no questions asked. I buy it from them and give them the old stuff back.
Actually I just bought oil today, Delo 400 LE, is $9.97 per gallon, (4 gallons) for my Cummin's B 5.9. The lable does NOT say SD on it, it is API CJ-4, the label says it "meets or exceeds warrany requirements for all gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines speciifying this SAE grade and API service classifications".
My owners book recommends "High quality, API CE/SG", and I just called the local Cummin's dealer and asked them. They said that the Chevron Delo 400 LE is the latest change and is compatable for all the pre and post diesel engines.
Nowhere does my book, or dealer say anything about SD.
Frank

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3469

• skyking8
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have the same Cummin's engine as Frank. He gave good advise. Check your engine owner's manual and then call the a manufacturer's authorized shop, like Cummin, and ask if there are any changes. There's an 800 number in the manual if you want to call directly to the manufacturer.

Also agree that it isn't hard to change oil on a diesel. Might even be easier than a gas engine.

1- You need the filter, oil, filter wrench, crescent wrench, and a funnel.
2- Remove the drain plug from the oil pan and drain oil. Be advised it's 20-24 qts so get a container large enough for that amount.
3- Screw the plug back on the oil pan. Remove the filter and replace with the new one. Follow directions on the box or filter for tightening.
4- Open your engine compartment and locate the dip stick cap, insert funnel and fill with oil. I only put 20 of the 24 qt capacity in mine to eliminate blow back on the toad.

Couple of tips. Neither Wal-Mart or the local auto parts store will have the filter. A larger truck maintenance facility will. Put the air back in the bags before you start and lower the rear jacks. It'll give you more room to work under the rig.

Try it once. Either that or call me. I'll take the $295 for 30 minutes minimal work. :)

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3470

• monkey44
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
QUOTE: "Try it once. Either that or call me. I'll take the $295 for 30 minutes minimal work."

Sounds like the beginning of a new service company -- arrive at the MCG with a 24 qt container, a funnel, a couple wrenches etc, and do it onsite. That's a pretty good payday if you can do three or four one day a month at the MPGs .. who needs 30 hours for a free campsite when you can just do a half-hour oil change for someone and then pay for your own site ... :o ::) ;D

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3471

• franknsandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
monkey,
Does your $295 fee include a lube job and an 18 point inspection? :-)

Re: I done did it 13 years 1 month ago #3472

• monkey44
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Frank Quote: "Does your $295 fee include a lube job and an 18 point inspection? :-)"

That was a quote from Skyking -- but I was thinking that a guy who had experience could sure make a few bucks a month doing oil changes in the MCGs ... although that would probably be hard to get a federal permit -- but in my "imaginery new company", yes, it would include a lube, an 18 point inspection, and two smiles -- one when I got there, and one when I put the $295 in my pocket - minus expenses, of course...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds