Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 3 weeks ago #1305

• OurVee
  • OurVee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'n not sure how to start this. It has bothered my wife for some time, and I used to think she was just over-reacting. After I tracked in someone elses mess and had to scrub it off the steps and out of the carpet, I understood what had bothered her so much. To start, we have to big dogs, who make, well, big piles. Part of our supplies are a small shovel, lots of plastic bags(thanks Home Depot), short leashes, shot records and cables we secure to the frame to keep the babies at our sides while out on the 'patio'. We have just started to stay at military CG's, but found this attitude at all other camprounds. The dog walks are full of poop. So are the walks TO the dog walks, and even in some vacant campsites. Just about everyone has a dog or 2 and only a few carry the obligatory baggie. We came across a guy who commented "WOW, you dogs must poop alot(the wife had 'policed' the whole area and filled 2 bags). That's the good thing about small dogs, you don't have to worry about picking it up". WHAT???? Just because you have a small dog shouldn't mean you do not have to clean up after it. Poop is, after all, poop. This guy even laughed when he said he lets his dog out in the ball fields instead of the dog park because the grass is nicer. "Still fenced in and all". Are we missing something? We didn't say anything about it because, how do you prove who's not cleaning up? After the initial clean up, the wife just hads me the baggies and we do the right thing. By the end of our short stays, it's beginning to 'pile' up again.

Anyone else notice this? Or are we being to fussy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 3 weeks ago #1307

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
there is no excuse for this type behavior. We travel with two small family members, a male and a female miniature schnauzer. The female weighs in at about 9 pounds and is tiny. The younger male is about 14 pounds and is a little bigger. We also have a bad dispenser attached to one of the leashes. We never go out without a bad and, I can promise, never come back with it empty.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen dog droppings that were just left for someone else to clean up. I'm surprised at the guy you talked to about his saying you don't have to pick up after small dogs. Since they are small it is easier to pick up after than. His statement is outragious. (My experience has actually been that the bigger the dog the less apt the owner is to clean up after it. That is just my take on this.) I've had many maintenance people in parks thank me when they see me picking up after the dogs. That tells me right there that there is a problem with people not doing this. So far my experience with the military campgrounds is that it is not as big a problem as in the private parks. Hopefully, that is because military folk are a better grade of people.

Not only do I resent folks that don't clean up after their pets but my real pet peeve is the locations of the dog walks. They are often times well away from the camp sites. The problem is both my dogs usually need to go well before we get to the dog walk area. We stayed in one park in Tucson, that was a residential park, while at a rally. The dog walk area was on the other side of a "no pet" area. As we were trying to get from our coach to the dog walk we had residents yelling at us that "this street is a no pet area". We wound up putting them in the car and driving them to the dog walk.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 3 weeks ago #1317

• OurVee
Your point on the location of the dog walks explained some of the problem. A couple of the KOA's we were in, the walks seemed to be somewhat of an after thought. Now that we have discovered the military CG's, we hope to run into(or in my case, step into)less of the problem.

I like the idea of the baggie dispenser, but I'm hanging onto a 90lb shepherd and a 110lb lab/mastiff so my wife is the 'dispenser'-she's going to love that I wrote that ;) .

Thanks for the reply and hope to see you out there somewhere.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 3 weeks ago #1325

• no1uscfan
Another pet peeve is those who let their dogs stretch the leash where they can hike and squat on your campsite. Then when our Yorkie is outside (leashed) it drives him crazy. If you are visiting my campsite that's one thing, but when you are walking down the road and let them do it thats a different ballgame. I try to treat others like I want to be treated.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 3 weeks ago #1329

• OurVee
When we(mostly I)walk the dogs, the are on short leashes. When we stop to chat, the dogs just sit and wait(and wait....). I have seen what you mean by stretching the leash to end up 20 feet away. On site, the cables we attach to the frame still only leaves the dogs about 10 feet or so, and they are NEVER without one of us and NEVER off our site. While we used to 'hook' them to the picnic tables, these long or no leashers created a problem of our babies dragging the table along as they went to play with the 'visitor'. Now I get to crawl under the coach to get a solid hook for the cables.

We hope to see less of this now that we stay mostly in the military CG's.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1343

• karylkoch
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
I agree, this is a "pet peeve". of mine also. I can't believe people can be so rude. I have noticed that some campgrounds, put it in bold capital letters, in there list of rules. There are groups of people who do not feel the rules apply to them. There is no excuses for this behavior. I'm afraid, this will cause campgrounds to restrict allowing dog in campgrounds. I have seen more rules being made, because of the rudeness of a few, but yet we have to pay for there blatant disdain for rules, and laws. Maybe they will bring lynching back. >:(

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1344

• OurVee
the 'fear' of there being less and less CG's that allow dogs is why my wife polices the area when we first arrive(once and ONLY once). We were plotting a trip up to Illinois from Florida, figured we could stay in military CG's the whole way, but found a review that specified 'no pets'. No pets to us is like leaving little kids alone, just not in us. We started to RV so we could specifically have our 'kids' with us. They really are well trained and love (most)people. Instead of lynching, maybe just a shoe full of poop tracked all up into the 'house' would be enough, though, probably not. The types that leave the mess for others would probably just find someone else to blame it on.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1361

• jafluc1
my comments are geared to full timers.

As I read through all of the posts regarding dog owners I must laugh.

We now do not own a dog. My wife and I love dogs and cats but chose to find a home for our Lab and not travel with pets, since we really thought it would be too hard on "the animals". What a concept. Imagine how most pets must feel trying to constantly adapt to changing new environments.

We cringe when we see how many full timers choose to have not one but two animals or more living in their limited space.

Of course when mom and dad are away for the day "muffie" remains locked up in the RV barking his/their head off because the are under "stress" of separation anxiety. When I brought this fact to an owners attention once, I was simply dismissed and told that the only time their dogs bark is when there is someone near. They never bark for no good reason. When asked how that could possibly be verified if they are away, I was given a puzzled look. Talk about living in denial. Am I stepping on toes yet?

Folks, believe me, I miss my lab almost as much as I miss a child or grandchild, but I really think traveling with any animal is psychological cruelty to that animal regardless of the attention and love you shower on them the 98% of the time you are giving them love.

The only redeeming part of your pets to us non owners is that we do get to thoroughly enjoy interacting with your pets when we you are walking your dogs and we are able to see them. I guess they are to us like grandchildren. We get to enjoy and spoil but have no responsibility.

Seriously though, consider finding these "loved" animals a stable good environment. It ain't always about us and "our" feelings.

Now if my past experience with pet owners holds true, you can all feel free to blast me for being such an inconsiderate, selfish person...

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1364

• karylkoch
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

My comments are geared to full timers.

As I read through all of the posts regarding dog owners I must laugh.

We now do not own a dog. My wife and I love dogs and cats but chose to find a home for our Lab and not travel with pets, since we really thought it would be too hard on "the animals". What a concept. Imagine how most pets must feel trying to constantly adapt to changing new environments.

We cringe when we see how many full timers choose to have not one but two animals or more living in their limited space.

Of course when mom and dad are away for the day "muffie" remains locked up in the RV barking his/their head off because the are under "stress" of separation anxiety. When I brought this fact to an owners attention once, I was simply dismissed and told that the only time their dogs bark is when there is someone near. They never bark for no good reason. When asked how that could possibly be verified if they are away, I was given a puzzled look. Talk about living in denial. Am I stepping on toes yet?

Folks, believe me, I miss my lab almost as much as I miss a child or grandchild, but I really think traveling with any animal is psychological cruelty to that animal regardless of the attention and love you shower on them the 98% of the time you are giving them love.

The only redeeming part of your pets to us non owners is that we do get to thoroughly enjoy interacting with your pets when we you are walking your dogs and we are able to see them. I guess they are to us like grandchildren. We get to enjoy and spoil but have no responsibility.

Seriously though, consider finding these "loved" animals a stable good environment. It ain't always about us and "our" feelings.

Now if my past experience with pet owners holds true, you can all feel free to blast me for being such an inconsiderate, selfish person...

:o ??? ::)

I can't help feeling more sorry for your lab, than our dog who travels with us full time. How do you think your dog felt being given to new owners. I feel that would be, more of an adjustment than, keeping your dog with you. Our dog is very happy, and gets three to four walks a day. Not for the reason you think, but she loves visiting with people. One place we go has rabbits, and another has ground hogs, and she sits in the window, like a statue, looking for them. The place we go to in the summer, is where we have a boat , and she goes out with us. She goes crazy, when she sees us getting our stuff together for the boat. I think most dog owners can tell when there dogs are happy, and I can tell you our dog is happy. When we do go out she knows we will be back soon, and shows no sign of anxiety. She mostly sleeps on the bed, and when she hears the car, jumps in the window, and greets us at the door. Next time you see a dog in an RV park, look close for the smile on his/her face. ;D ;D ;D

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1368

• oldchief46
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
no blast from this end, just an description of our dogs and travels.

We have two fairly small miniature schnauzers. Their favorite thing is to be with us, where ever we are. When we are in our stick house, like right now, they have a dog door and can come in and out as they please. They seldom go out, just to do their business and return. Mostly they would rather be with us. Right this minute one is laying under my chair and the other is laying by my feet.

As far as changing their environment the motorhome is their second home. To them it is just like being in the stick house. What is outdoors may change for them but as long as they have some grass to go on and get to go for walks on a regular basis they are happy. When in the motorhome they enjoy looking out the windows, if we are there or not. The smaller one sits on the back of the couch and watches the activity in the park. The other one has not figured out how to get up on the back of the couch so he just puts his legs up on the back and looks out.

As far as barking, that is not a problem when we are out site seeing. We have traveled many times with other coach owners and have always asked them how our dogs behaved when we were gone. There has never been a problem. If they are not on the couch they are laying on their pillows, sleeping. This is no different than before we retired and they spent their days in the house while we put in our work days. Actually, they are left alone for much shorter times than when we were working for a living.

Out dogs are members of our family and it would be impossible to get rid of them. The older dog, our small female, now has bladder cancer and we don't expect for her to be with us much longer. She is now nine years old. It will be hard when she is gone and we will all miss her, especially her six year old brother.

Dog ownership, just like the RV lifestyle, is a personal choice. We really love our dogs and plan our travels with them in mind.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 weeks ago #1375

• OurVee
to jafluc1: We don't consider your to be inconsiderate or selfish. Your point of view is somewhat puzzling. My wife wishes she knew you so she could have provided your lab a welcome home. Labs are wonderful dogs that don't 'grow up' and mellow out until older than most other breeds. It's what makes them fun. Neither of our dogs suffer as you put it from seperation anxiety, and I know your comment was to 'full timers'. Here at the 'stick', the dogs are right with us. When we leave for whatever reason, it is without fanfare or excitement, neither is our return. It is part of the training. If either one of us goes into the RV for whatever reason, they follow and hop up on the couch hoping we are going for a trip. Our neighbors all comment on the lack of noise from such large dogs, and when camping, we have asked those neighbors if our dogs were being 'barky' or in any other way, noisy when we go to the store or whatever. The answer is always nope, we don't hear them at all. Just like OldChief46, we got the RV with the dogs in mind, and all our travels revolve around THEIR comfort more than ours. We can't imagine our life without our pets.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 1 week ago #1390

• jafluc1
General Reply to all that responded. The responses were exactly as I expected. You were all very courteous in expressing your opinions and your obvious dismay with mine. No problem. Just wanted to share with you our observations regarding pets that travel full time.

For those who were concerned about our lab, she was provided a "stable loving home" to our next door neighbor. As for what dog's think or feel, that is dictated on a moment to moment experience. They are driven by instinct. If you love and provide that love to your pet they will of course feel secure. It is just more difficult to do in a constantly changing environment.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 1 week ago #1401

• monkey44
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 106
I've had dogs most of my life -- and most recently (this week) actually had to find a home for our 'pound puppy' we've loved for nine years. But it was dictated by family circumstances we could not control. Now, she has a great home with the woman who was our 'pet sitter' for years and years -- a "second home" for her anyway. She loves us both and has a great life at either spot ... sometimes life is unfair, and sometimes we have to make choices that are less than ideal ... and I try never to critique another man's choice unless I first walk in his shoes. Once I do that, and only after I do that, will I offer my challenge ... until then, each must live with the choices he/she makes.

Having said that -- if you have a dog -- enjoy it, love it, and clean up after it, or give it to someone that cares enough to care for it properly ...

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 1 week ago #1403

• franknsandy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
After thinking about this, MY OBSERVATIONS are that, as a hole, most dog owners I have seen at Military CG's have been responsible. There are a few exceptions, but not many compared to the number of dog owners.
I see a BIGGER dis-regard when CAT owners are involved.
Cats are sneaker and stinker. Some of their owners just turn them loose and don't even try to clean up after them. I have only seen a couple of cat owners who leash or contain their cats. A lot of cat owners say they keep their cats in their camper using litter boxes, this may be true in a lot of cases, but this sure can make being in one of these pretty unbearable if you are not a cat person.
I think overall cat owners are more of a problem than dog owners.

If you are a cat owner, please don't take this personal, this is just MY observations, I don't mean to put down cat owners as a hole, I just felt I sould say that it is not only dog owners that are a problem with their pets.

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 6 days ago #1417

• Mustang03
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
First, a round of applause to everyone for keeping this discussion civil. I've seen this topic devolve quickly on other boards to a very juvenile level...

We've got two cats. One never goes out. The other learned to tolerate a leash at 10 years of age and never goes out unless on his leash. And if he decides to drop a couple of marbles, they get picked up.

We totally agree with the last post: If there is something that royally pi$$es us off quickly, it is cat owners who just turn their pets loose in a campground because they come up to the door and try to pick fights with our guys. Of course, the only time any real damage to our door occurred when a dog owner let his Jack Russell run out to the end of his retractable leash and when the dog reached the door, the fight was on because the Thundercat will defend his home against all comers. Another reason to not turn cats loose is that they are predators and will decimate the local wildlife. Our guy loves to stalk, but we never deliberately let him catch anything. Of course, the last time he pounced before I noticed the critter, he was bitten by an 18" rattlesnake.

One suggestion I'd offer is that if you see a cat out on a leash, treat it like a strange dog. Approach slowly with the owner's consent and let the cat sniff and decide you're ok before just diving in and pawing the animal. Some cats, like dogs, are stand-offish and will swing if they think you're attacking them. Ours will! Look at it from his point of view - you're a lot bigger than him. The other thing we hear -- a lot -- as the owner lets their dog run up to our cat is, "Oh, our doggie just LOVES kitties!" Well, our cat doesn't know that. Keep your doggies at a distance, please! We'll stop and let you pick your path around us.

We believe the rules are the rules in a campground. Pets on leash and pick up after them. Doesn't matter if it is a dog or a cat.
B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Re: Irresponsible dog owners 14 years 2 days ago #1436

• OurVee
One of our neighbors has their cats on leashes. I love the advice on how to approach animals. Let them do the sniffing before you put your hand or face in to pet the pet. Our dogs love us, and are friendly towards most people, but like your cat, you just never know. I will admit the picnic table being dragged along is funny, NOW. Not so much at the time. Glad you take care of the marbles, too. Rules are rules, and it keeps the carpets cleaner, too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds