Florida 212144
November - February 2011
(Updated: February 18, 2011)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Raccoon Creek is potentially one of the best military campgrounds. The staff is friendly and always helpful, they now permit on base retirees to eat in the “chow halls” (the food is great and a la carte), the amenities are plentiful (BX, Commissary, Golf Course (it’s in mediocre shape) Auto Shop, marina, beach, fishing etc. The base has it all. The one comment is that this park is a poorly laid out “cash cow” that is not properly set up or appreciated. If you get assigned to “sardineville”, which seems to be the “in place” to set up, then you will be ( in my estimation ) too close to your neighbors and you will hear their dogs if they are noisy. If they had used some common sense when they set up the annex ( the area we prefer – w/I walking distance to the golf course ) they could have easily placed another 75 – 100 sites. In early Feb we noted that the dry camp area is almost completely full and if the MWR or FSS ( whoever runs this campground ) would just add 50 more FHU sites that would be an additional $24K per month. Remember my comment about this being a “cash cow”? As many of these campers are golfers ( = more $$$ for the golf course ) and they eat at the galley, shop at the exchange, use the Vet services etc… you get the picture – more money all around. Perhaps if the managers would get out of their comfort zone and visit a well run military campground such as Kings Bay ( NavSubBase, GA ) or NavSta Mayport ,FL they’d see what I’m talking about. Would we return ? absolutely. Can this place be made better ? It surely can and we hope that the decision makers . What do I realistically expect? Nothing to happen because they always have a waiting list of campers for the following year and so no improvements are required or needed to keep the people coming. Too bad!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or